I have a relatively new build (Oct 2011) with the following configuration:
    MSI Z68 GD 65 G3
    Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM
    HIS Radeon HD4670
    60Gb Corsair Pyro SSD
    750 Caviar Black
    Intel i7-2600K
    Windows 7 64-bit

I started getting some BSODs in the last couple weeks. Reading around, I found that they might have been due to some issues between my antivirus and some LAN drivers on the motherboard. I fixed that and I haven't had problems the last couple days. However, I decided to run memtest 4.0 just to check my RAM. First of all, when I boot off the CD, the test runs so fast that it took me 3-4 restarts to read that I had to press c to configure. I have read in several forums that you should do at least 7 passes but I am not sure how to configure that (or do I just let it run and stop it after 7 passes?). When I choose version 4.0, after the first pass, the test finds 8704 errors and then it freezes at the beginning of test 2. This was when I was running all 4 sticks at the same time. I am now trying to test just one of the sticks but the test still freezes at the beginning of test 2 (but without any errors on this stick). I am not running one stick at the time to see which one has errors (hopefully is only one) but I would really appreciate if someone could help me understand a little more about what I need to do. Also, what is ECC and should I try to do something with that?
    Thank you in advance for your help,

Krsto
  2. CompEnthusiast

CompEnthusiast Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

PS I ran a Windows Memory Diagnostic test a couple days ago and it did not show any errors
  3. CompEnthusiast

CompEnthusiast Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

One more update. I ran the test (just one pass with version 3.5b) for all 4 memory sticks and for one of them memtest just stopped working and said "halting unexpected interrupt cpu0" or something like that.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.