I have a relatively new build (Oct 2011) with the following configuration:
MSI Z68 GD 65 G3
Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM
HIS Radeon HD4670
60Gb Corsair Pyro SSD
750 Caviar Black
Intel i7-2600K
Windows 7 64-bit

I started getting some BSODs in the last couple weeks. Reading around, I found that they might have been due to some issues between my antivirus and some LAN drivers on the motherboard. I fixed that and I haven't had problems the last couple days. However, I decided to run memtest 4.0 just to check my RAM. First of all, when I boot off the CD, the test runs so fast that it took me 3-4 restarts to read that I had to press c to configure. I have read in several forums that you should do at least 7 passes but I am not sure how to configure that (or do I just let it run and stop it after 7 passes?). When I choose version 4.0, after the first pass, the test finds 8704 errors and then it freezes at the beginning of test 2. This was when I was running all 4 sticks at the same time. I am now trying to test just one of the sticks but the test still freezes at the beginning of test 2 (but without any errors on this stick). I am not running one stick at the time to see which one has errors (hopefully is only one) but I would really appreciate if someone could help me understand a little more about what I need to do. Also, what is ECC and should I try to do something with that?
Thank you in advance for your help,

Krsto

One more update. I ran the test (just one pass with version 3.5b) for all 4 memory sticks and for one of them memtest just stopped working and said "halting unexpected interrupt cpu0" or something like that.

Back