BSOD for breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been getting these BSOD's for the past 3 or 4 months. At first seemed to start happening straight after installing Microsofts antispyware beta 2, when i took it off all was ok for a while, but then it returned. It's strange cos it only happens first thing in the morning when i switch the PC on, after one or two, sometimes three reboots the it runs like a dream for the rest of the day. and it will continue so until i switch it off.
Next time when I try to switch it on same story.
I have attached the latest few minidumps - pls help - if i can just get an idea of what is the problem...

I have run memcheck and some other ram tests - no errors after several hours. Also chekced my hard disks with the manufacturer's software and disk scan - no errors. Maybe the video card? or Mobo? CPU? Hopefully software...

Pls let me know
k

BTW - Any tip on how to analyse these dumps myself would be much appreciated - i downloaded windbg and tried opening the files, but it complains about some symbols and stuff and asks me to point at some symbol file or folder - :p what to make of it?

3 out of 6 minidumps are caused by pool corruption. I found this article that explains how you have to enable special pool to pinpoint the driver causing the crash. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188831/EN-US/

One minidump was caused by atapi.sys. read here

One minidump was caused by Ntkrnlmp.exe. Microsoft suggests following the instructions found here

The last minidump was caused by dmio.sys. a file required by Windows. I would suggest going to a command prompt and typing sfc.exe /scannow and see if the built in system file checker finds any of these errors so you don't have to reinstall Windows.

In order for you to use windbg to read minidumps follow these instructions:
http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/archive/index.php/t-6339.html

Common denominator?

Thanx a mil for your reply, and help.
Do you think these diverse causes could have a common underlying fault, or do you think it's just lots of things going wrong at the same time with my system?
k

I think it's a combination of things going on at the same time. It can't hurt to either do a repair of the current windows installation or format and perform a clean install. Then if it happens after the repair or install you will know if it's a hardware issue, most likely memory.

thanx fastco,
i think you're right...i think i'll try a clean install at some stage soon. At least at this stage it's only a mild irritation during the initial boot-up, so i can live with it for a while, then maybe later this month i'll try a clean install. In the meantime i activated the special pool according to the article link u sent me - i'll try and see if it more clearly identifies a specific driver during the next bsod - maybe, hopefully, it's just some offending piece of software...
btw i read the article on windbg - helped me a lot, i processed a few more of my minidumps, and they are mostly pool corruption. so now at least i can do that as well - thanx a lot for all the info...
cheers
k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back