TechSpot

BSOD...gonna set my computer on FIRE!!!!!!!!

By CrashVector
Nov 26, 2006
  1. I have been working on this problem for almost three days now....and I cannot fix it.

I'll try to be brief....

Setup:
    MB = Asus A8N-SLI
    HD1 = Win XP Home
    HD2 = Ubuntu Linux
    1GB ram

Here's the problem: I was installing a new modem that will work under both Windows and Linux...a USR Performance Pro modem. When I was installing the modem under Windows, it got almost all the way finished with updating the driver and I got a BSOD.

I tried rebooting. At the boot screen, my MB asks which operating system I want to boot into...there are several Ubuntu options for safe modes...but none for a Windows safe mode. In other words, I cannot get windows to boot into safe mode (tried the F8 thing, etc) The computer crashes as soon as the desktop loads.

I would post my minidumps from the C:\Windows\minidump folder if I could actually access it somehow...but do not know how to A) get to it or B) save it to a file to email without the computer working.

The error code I get is as follows:
    STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xED9CF71C, 0x00000000)

USR_BSC2.sys Address EBC72683 base at EBC5F000 , datestamp 40052FE

I read the sticky...tried everything there to no avail.

I booted from a Windows CD into recovery mode, but access is denied to the USR folder (and I dont even know if that would help anyhow)

Thank GOD I have a laptop I can use.

For the love of God...can someone PLEASE help me before I open a vein over this?!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.