BSOD help, new at this

Status
Not open for further replies.

tamadabee128

hi guys,

i put a post up a couple days ago, but i fixed my lcd myself but right now im getting the BSOD of:

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\systemroot\system32\config\system...

I followed some people instructions, but it did not work, I put the Windows XP CD in, BUT it does not load the CD but it goes to the Windows safe option menu...and it WILL NOT let me boot from safe mode....what do i do? thanks guys

I recall having this problem with a customer's system and it's bugging me that I can't immediately recall how I fixed it!!

Try a chkdsk, see if that works.

Boot from the XP installation CD and select Recovery Console. Type Help chkdsk and it will give you the details on how to run it.

how do i boot from the windows xp cd? it goes directly to the boot menu (the safe options, normal option, etc.) i have the cd in when i boot the computer

Go into your BIOS and find the Boot Sequence menu. Make sure that the CD/DVD drive is higher in the list than your HDD. When you restart, there should be a message asking you if you want to boot from CD, press Enter. This will load the XP installation CD

Do you have a Product Key for Windows XP? If you're not sure, check your PC chassis, there should be a sticker with a Windows Product Key on it.

OOPS! Sorry, you're just using the Recovery Console! You won't need the Product Key! It's only needed if you install or repair an installation. Recovery Console does not require a Product Key!

So, make sure your BIOS is set to boot from CD/DVD, restart and when it asks you if you want to boot from CD, hit enter and let the CD load up. It will prompt you if you want Recovery Console and press 'R' to select it.

If u manage to get to recovery console and chkdsk didn't help, copy the file c:\windows\repair\system to c:\windows\system32\config\system and try starting pc again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back