BSOD (new hardware)

Hello, need some help with recent BSOD related PC crashes.

I've recently added new hardware to my computer, at first I only installed a new GPU (R7770 PMD1GD5, MSI). I installed the drivers and everything was fine.

Then I installed a new Motherboard, CPU and Sound Card. Again I installed drivers but then I got some BSODs. Figured I might aswell do a format and reinstall Windows 7 x64 and drivers but the problems did not go away.

(I'm also using a 75W 6-Pin PCI Express power connector between my new GPU and the PSU.)

Sometimes when the computer crashes there's no BSOD it just freezes. I've gotten only 2 different BSOD IDs (0x00000ea and 0x00000116, first one says "THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER the second one doesn't have any Bug check string).

So far the BSODs have not happened when the computer was idle but it can happen when I play games, using Google Chrome or just about anything).

I've tried installing my old GPU (NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT) and drivers of course. While using the old GPU there's no more PC crashes which leads me to think I've isolated the issue to the new GPU and probably the drivers for it.

For the new GPU (R7770 PMD1GD5) I'm using the driver software found here: http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R7770-PMD1GD5.html#/?div=Driver&os=Win7 64
(was using the same drivers with my older Motherboard + CPU with no crashes)

New GPU requirements state that a 500W PSU is recommended.

Current PC speccs

Motherboard - MSI K9N2 Diamond

PSU - 550W RASURBO Silend & Case DKO 45.1/55.1/65.1 Switching Power Supply Unit

GPU - R7770 PMD1GD5 (MSI) /// Old GPU - NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT

CPU - AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 940 Processor

RAM - 4x 2048 MB PC2-6400 DDR2-SDRAM Corsair CM2x2048-6400C5

Disk Drives - HDS722516VLSA80 ATA Device
ST3750330AS ATA Device
WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 ATA Device

Network - Linksys WMP600N Wireless-N PCI Adapter with Dual-Band

Sound Card - Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio

Here are the .dmp files created by the BSODs

Any ideas?

Attachments

• minidump.zip
    184.4 KB · Views: 2
Well, the GPU is brand new and I have been extremely careful with it, enough that I can say with 100% certainty that I cannot have broken it and since it was working absolutely fine on my other Motherboard there really shouldn't be any issue with it.

The graphics driver on the other hand could be causing the issues, I've now made sure to download the latest via AMDs site using the AMD Cataclyst Control Center (latest version). Before doing so I also rid the Harddrives of all Video related drivers to make sure nothing old is still there.

Haven't crashed since doing this, will come back once it does.

There's nothing wrong with the driver, inbetween every try I use Driversweeper to clear the graphics drivers.

I have tried the latest from AMD, the latest from MSI, recommended by application Driver Genius Pro (same as the ones from AMD) and the ones I got from the CD that came with the graphics card. The BSODs are there no matter which of these drivers I use and it's the exact same code referencing the same .sys file.

And if there's some hardware related issues to the GPU, why would it work perfectly on my older Motherboard?

Back