Bsod, page fault in nonpaged area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annebouman

Good day,

when I start my computer, I see a blue screen of death with the following error: page fault in nonpaged area. Starting in safe mode gives the same blue screen. At the bottom of the screen the following line is displayed:

0x00000050 (0x80fff000,0x00000000,0xf86e9036,0x00000000)

It is a Dell computer with a 2.8 Ghz processer and 512 MB internal memory. The computer is original, I mean not overclocked. Could you help me with this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Anne

Anne, the mods will most likely move this to the BSOD sub-forum in the Windows OS board.

Your error is 0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

As you can read the cause could be due to many things but right now we don't have enough information to even make an educated guess except for that due to you receiving this message even in safe mode idicates it might be a driver issue..

Please give us your hardware specs and the internet security you are running. Also, have you downloaded anything recently or have you made any changes to your system?

Hardware Specs

I am using Norton Antivirus 2009, this software includes internet security. Besides a new version of MSN Messenger I downloaded nothing and also made no changes to my system. Which hardware specs do you need?

Motherboard make and model, amount and type of RAM installed, video card, etc.

Many, many people have come here with Norton issues. I am not saying this is your issue per se but it is something to keep in mind. We need your minidumps.

How to find your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Dear Route44,

I tried everything to start up the computer, but in every situation the bsod appears. When I start the computer in safe mode, when the computer is restored to its last known functioning configuration, when I press f8 or f12 after turning the computer on, no matter what I try, always the bsod appears. So I am not able to reach the minidump files, and I am also not able to find all information as requested. I found that the computer has 512 MB DDR SDRAM, regarding the motherboard and video card I was not able to retrieve the appropriate information. I also have a comparable PC from Dell, this model is four months older, but is the same type (Dimension 2400). Is it helpful when I look up the motherboard and video card details of this computer? And is ther any possibility that I can start the computer without the appearance of the bsod?

Regards,

Anne

Okay, with your issues we are going to have you run a test that will take over as soon as you boot up. It is completely safe and free. It is called Memtest and it is designed to test your RAM. You will be able to put this test on a CD from your one computer and use the CD in the one causing you problems.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

I downloaded Memtest 4.0, unzipped it and burned it on a CD. Then I inserted the disc in the problem computer but again the BSOD appeared. In the setup menu, boot sequence, I deleted the marks by floppy drive and hard disk, so the computer would boot from cd. Than the following line occured: Press F1 to retry boot, press F2 for setup utility. When I press F1 the same line occurs, when I press F2 the setup menu appears, which is also not helpful. When I rebooted the computer, again this line appeared.

The Memtest file on the cd is burned as a Winrar archive, The file name is memtest86+4.00 iso, which is in line with the instructions of the forum. My question is whether its right that the file is burned as a winrar archive, or should it be extracted? For a complete understanding, I downloaded the file in a Winzip extension, and after extraction it became a winrar archive file.

It needs to be extracted first. In fact if you have a blank CD in your burner and you click to extract your burning software should automatically appear and begin to burn.

If not extract it first. Then click on the extracted ISO file.

To be honest, I'm a little confused. I downloaded Memtest as a ZIP file. Subsequently I extracted the file to my desktop which led to the following file name: Memtest86.4.00.iso. This file is a Winrar archive. But do I need to extract this file again or burn the file as a Winrar archive on cd?

The problem with Memtest is solved. In first instance I burned the file as data, not as an image. At the moment Memtest is running, I will post the results.

Memtest has just completed the test in a runtime of 5.30 hours. In total 8 tests were performed and no errors were found.

Okay, that is good work. Questions: Do you have installed any software such as Acronis or Daemon Tools? Are you running any other security software besides Norton? When it Blue Screens is it always the 0x50 or are there other error codes? Do they mention any drivers forllow the error code?

Also, do you have any friends that have working PC hardware knowledge?

Both Acronis as Daemon Tools are not installed on the computer. Norton antivirus is the only security software that is running on the computer. The code is always : 0x00000050 (0x80fff000,0x00000000,0xf86e9036,0x00000000). I know someone who might have knowledge in computer hardware.

Anne, since you can't access Windows even in Safe Mode (correct?) and if your friends have enough PC knowleadge, ask them to take your harddrive and slave it to their system.

They should be able to access your harddrive in this way and run diagnostics on your harddrive using the free harddrive diagnostic utility by your HD manufacturer that can be found on their website.

This utility should be able to tell you if your harddrive is good or if it is failing. If it is failing you'll be able to A.S.A.P. transfer all important data. You'll need to get a new harddrive.

Also, you should be able to run virus and malware scans to see if you have any infections.

* Let us know if you are able to have someone slave it into their system.

I brought the computer to a computer store, they will take the harddrive out and test it in another computer. Many thanks for your support !

Today I picked up the computer at the store. The hard drive was infected by a virus. They cleaned the drive and installed Windows again. The virus seems to be caused by Limewire, although I hadn't used this program for months. Again many thanks for your support.

Thanks Anne for getting back to us and we are glad it is resolved. For what it is worth, there are better solutions than Norton that take up less system resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back