BSOD when Picasa scans network drive for photos...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a strange one. I am hoping one of the experts here can shed some light on my trouble. Thanks in advance.

I bought a brandnew Acer TravelMate 2441 laptop. After loading all the XP updates & MS Office 2003 + updates I installed Picasa. I keep my photos on a shared machine at my home so I connect to the drive and initiate a scan with Picasa and boom! I get a BSOD. Time after time I can repeat the BSOD.

I am attaching the minidump here. I appreciate any and all help you can provide me.

Best Regards

Attachments

• Mini082206-01.dmp
    92 KB · Views: 6
Hi. Quick follo-up. I copied the files from the network to the local drive on the laptop and ran the Picasa photo discovery process. All went well. It appears that this is a problem related to the wireless network connection on the laptop and how Picasa makes use of it. Does this help in any way?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your minidump crashes at symidsco.sys. this is part of your Symantec/Norton crapware.

It`s difficult to be sure from just one minidump. Attach 5 or 6 of your latest minidumps and I`ll take a look and advise.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thanks Howard. Don't have many more. Only 3 so far and attaching them here. Thanks for yuir help

Attachments

• Mini082306-02.zip
    71 KB · Views: 15
All your minidumps crash at your Symantec/Norton drivers. They also reference eLock2FSCTLDriver.sys. I can`t find any info for this driver. Do you recognise it?

I recommend you uninstall Symantec/Norton and try the free AVG antivirus programme and either the free Zonealarm or Kerio firewall programmes. See if your system then becomes stable. You can get them HERE, HERE and HERE.

Regards Howard :)

Super!!! This did the trick indeed! Thank you so much. Its amazing how useless PC resellers and tech support is and then how you can find answers on the web from helpful & knowledgable folk like yourself. You even gave me links to s/w I could use to replace the Norton stuff... Thank you so much.

I searched the eLock2FSCTLDriver.sys file on the disk and looked up its prop pages. I think this is related to an Acer provided application called eLock which is used to lock peripherals and connections to the laptop. ie block someone from connecting a USB thumbdrive and steal your data etc.

I am attaching a zipped copy of the .sys file in case it is of interest to you to review it. Thanks once again. You are a lifesaver.

Attachments

• eLock2FSCTLDriver.zip
    24.9 KB · Views: 78
eLock2BurnerLockDriver.sys

Hello all:

New to the forum, and stumbled here by accident after searching for a similar problem with my wife's new 5102 WLMi.

I am also getting the same 2 errors:

eLock2FSCTLDriver.sys
eLock2BurnerLockDriver.sys

Neither of these 2 drivers are located on the machine, but there are a number of registry entries pointing to them. When the services attempt to start at every cold boot, events are written to the event viewer.

Does anyone out there know how to fix this?

Does anyone out there have a copy of eLock2BurnerLockDriver.sys?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back