BSOD won't allow any boot

By mulligan01
Oct 23, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I recently received the BSOD stop error 0x 7e, page fault non paged area.
    Originally I could boot into safe mode by hitting esc. and stopping the stds files from loading. After running anti-virus and cleanup I did a system restore. After restart I continue recieving BSOD and now cannot even boot in safe mode. I design custom homes for a living and I have a few cad files that I have not backed up that would result in alot of wasted hours of work if I have to start them over from scratch, I should have backed up files while in safe mode, but since I was already in safe mode I figured I could get back there.

Since I don't have an XP CD I got a boot dic off the internet and I got an error message "<windows root>\system32\hal.dll. missing or corrupt.

I have tried using the recovery console and for some reason it does not ask what installation of windows I would like to load or for my admin password, but it did run a chkdsk and I received a message that the volume appears to have one or more unrecoverable problems.

I figure if I got into safe mode once that I should be able to do it again in order to back a few things up before I have to reformat. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I may be able to do this?
  2. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,358   +167

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.