TechSpot

BSOD's in WinXP SP2

By zan2828
Nov 29, 2007
  1. Computer been running fine for about a month, but a few days ago it started BSODing a lot.

I will attach my minidump files, can someone take a look at them? I am leaning heavily towards faulty RAM but Memtest and Windows Mem Diag both run for many passes, no error.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,934   +167

Outside the usual "unstable Windows" generic stuff, USBPORT.SYS is flagged in the dumps...

Are you using a USB Broadband modem? What is you location and give us some system specs please

3. zan2828

zan2828 TS Rookie Topic Starter

usbport.sys is only mentioned in the first dump. i attribute that error to me changing the usb poll rate (this alters the usbport.sys)

"memory_corruption" is present in several of the dumps, does this usually indicate faulty RAM?

4. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,167   +37

I would definitely run MemTest to determine if you have faulty RAM.

5. zan2828

i ran both memtest and win mem diag for many hrs and no errors.

6. Tmagic650

So what type of Internet do you use? Are you using a USB broadband modem? And what are your system specs? I really do hate to repeat myself

7. zan2828

sorry about that, i saw your post, but just didn't see how my specs were applicable in diagosing the bsod.

no i am not using a USB modem. i already stated that the usbport.sys bsod was an isolated incident;probably because i changed my polling rate.

if anything, shouldn't the minidumps give enough info to determine if this is software or hardware related?

specs are as follows:

e6750
    gigabyte ds3-r mobo
    2GB crucial ballistix 800mhz
    8800gts 320mb
    3 hdd's (wdraptor 74, seagate 250, seagate 400)
    audigy 2
    windows xp sp2

8. Tmagic650

You have an NVIDIA video card and are suffering from BSOD's. How would I know that without you posting your specs?

...and "memory corruption" can come from hardware conflicts and driver issues. Surprized?

9. zan2828

It crashed again when I was just browsing the web, and I am positive this has nothing to do with my Nvidia card. I have attached the latest one.

Please cpc2004 or anyone else that can actually READ the minidumps, take a look? THank you.

10. Tmagic650

It's a generic Widows error pointing to memory errors

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.