TechSpot

BSOD's in WinXP SP2

By zan2828
Nov 29, 2007
  1. Computer been running fine for about a month, but a few days ago it started BSODing a lot.

I will attach my minidump files, can someone take a look at them? I am leaning heavily towards faulty RAM but Memtest and Windows Mem Diag both run for many passes, no error.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,230   +232

Outside the usual "unstable Windows" generic stuff, USBPORT.SYS is flagged in the dumps...

Are you using a USB Broadband modem? What is you location and give us some system specs please

3. zan2828

zan2828 TS Rookie Topic Starter

usbport.sys is only mentioned in the first dump. i attribute that error to me changing the usb poll rate (this alters the usbport.sys)

"memory_corruption" is present in several of the dumps, does this usually indicate faulty RAM?

4. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

I would definitely run MemTest to determine if you have faulty RAM.

5. zan2828

i ran both memtest and win mem diag for many hrs and no errors.

6. Tmagic650

So what type of Internet do you use? Are you using a USB broadband modem? And what are your system specs? I really do hate to repeat myself

7. zan2828

sorry about that, i saw your post, but just didn't see how my specs were applicable in diagosing the bsod.

no i am not using a USB modem. i already stated that the usbport.sys bsod was an isolated incident;probably because i changed my polling rate.

if anything, shouldn't the minidumps give enough info to determine if this is software or hardware related?

specs are as follows:

e6750
    gigabyte ds3-r mobo
    2GB crucial ballistix 800mhz
    8800gts 320mb
    3 hdd's (wdraptor 74, seagate 250, seagate 400)
    audigy 2
    windows xp sp2

8. Tmagic650

You have an NVIDIA video card and are suffering from BSOD's. How would I know that without you posting your specs?

...and "memory corruption" can come from hardware conflicts and driver issues. Surprized?

9. zan2828

It crashed again when I was just browsing the web, and I am positive this has nothing to do with my Nvidia card. I have attached the latest one.

Please cpc2004 or anyone else that can actually READ the minidumps, take a look? THank you.

10. Tmagic650

It's a generic Widows error pointing to memory errors

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.