BSODs on fresh installed OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post here, so hello.
My computer isn't working properly for some time now. I get BSODs especially as the computer starts up, but also after it has been working alright for a few hours.
I thought it was a memory problem, so I replaced my DDR SDRAM memory. For a few days it looked like this solved the problem, but the BSODs are back. Yesterday I reinstalled Windows XP ((after formatting the disk with the OS). Since then there ocuured 5 BSODs.
I've attached the minidump files.

If you need any other info, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

XP Professional, SP3
AMD Athlon XP, 908 MHz
ASRock K7S41GX
SiS 661FX_760_741
Kingston K 1024 MB

Possible Solution

Your Dumps show indications of Memory Errors.
I know that you said you just swapped out your memory, but this is the likely place to start.

If you have not done so already, Get Memtest and run it... It will take some time, be patient.
(8 tests per pass, let it run for 7 passes... unless you start getting errors.)

If you get errors, you will then need to determine which stick is at fault. Do this by removing one stick at a time (and swapping as needed).

If any, or both, (or all) test faulty then you have your answer. Usually, memtest will find memory errors
(though I have seen posts that suggest that even memtest is not an absolute guarantee that memory is not at fault).

As significant as your events are ... I suspect that memtest will find the problems. If not, repost and we may try another approach.

For memtest... https://www.techspot.com/downloads/500-memtest.html
This will give you an iso that you will need to burn to make a bootable cd. You will reboot from this cd.

For more details on usage... https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

Memtest gave no errors

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm running memtest right now. After the first pass, it said after 1h 30 min: Pass complete, no errors. It still runs for further testing.
Before I started the test i had some problems again. The system rebooted automatically several times. It seems a matter of luck if the system comes up or not (it takes a few attemps).
I one case I got the message CMOS/GPNV checksum bad, but I've only seen that once. (The system time is still OK, I read somewhere that the CMOS/CPNV checksum error might have something to do with a bad battery).

No errors in memtest

Memtest found no errors after running for two days. Who has an idea what might be the problem?

Hi Ruud129

Your dumps indicate that most likely it is a hardware issue ... since you say you've tested your RAM, we can move on to other devices. Try removing or swapping other controllers, devices or peripherals. Also update your BIOS drivers and other hardware drivers. Your motherboard could also be the faulty part (or the battery as you've indicated). As you can see, this is a wide ranged error - unfortunately you'll have to go through a trial and error process or take it in to have it checked for you.

Spyder_1386 :)

Hi again Ruud129

I didn't think to ask whether you did a reformat of your system or whether you just reinstalled Windows. If you have only just reinstalled Windows, I believe that hardware isn't your problem. You might be infected with viruses/malware and spyware. Please follow our 8-step guide from here .... https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/ and post your logs in the Virus forum.

The above was based on your second set of dumps which indicated files very likely to be infected by spyware. That is my reasoning behind posting that link.

One of your dumps indicated an Ntfs.sys error as well ... this can be cured by running Chkdsk from the recovery console. Do try doing this as well. I'm not sure of your exact issue so please do get back to us on things you've tried.

Spyder_1386 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back