TechSpot

Build a PC for TV

By Phantasm66
Nov 11, 2002

1. READ ON: http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/02q4/021109/index.html

2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

That is awesome I think I am going to look into that once I get my house. I'm not actually even worried about building one that is small though, I will just mod my walls/cabinets to hide or enclose the pc. That is acutally one reason I got my first pc in the frist place. So I could use my ATI AIW to play video on my tv.

One thing I have often wondered, is how a show like The Screen Savers, or Call for Help (on TechTV) get their picture such good quality on their televisions. When I put my pc out to a tv the desktop and words are all blurry. Theirs looks very crisp and clear, anyone know why or how?

3. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 5,734   +7

my home system has the big TV right next to the main server tower, and it outputs to the TV. I use the PC as a video recorder / player and its all linked to the cable TV and surround sound. I have long supposed that eventually the PC will hit the living room.

4. poertner_1274

Yes but does your desktop look crips? Mine is VERY blurry, I have tried it on multiple TV's

5. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,704

Same problem with me poert. I try using TV-out but the quality is terrible. No idea as to why, though. I would play videos from my PC with my TV, but It's just terribly blurry!

6. poertner_1274

The videos I play look very good, Even if I play a game like CS (I tried a long time ago) it looks decent. Just the text in the start bar, background, etc. If I were to open an IE window, I would have to strain my eyes to read what it said.

7. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,210   +424

Mine are crisp Poert - and I don't do anything special - I can just run an SVHS cable out to the television and it's very pretty - even my games look good as long as I drop res to 800x600.

LNCPapa

8. poertner_1274

yes I knew you had to drop to 800x600, but it just bothers me that I can't get it to work well. I am thinking of getting the new AIW 8500, I found it for pretty cheap online, I wonder if that will help.

I wonder if it would help me in game play as well?

9. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 5,734   +7

I just watch the dvds, divx, etc, on the tv. Everything else is on monitors...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.