Building 1st PC. Please write an article ID'ing what each component is really used for...

FliGuyRyan

Hi there...

I'm a long-time lurker and soon to be a first-time PC builder. At the age of 33, I've never assembled a system on my own and with all the new formats, USB types, m.2 this, NVMe that, etc, etc... I'm just lost. I've been researching things for a month, and the main thing that I'm confused about are the motherboard options.

I'm going to use the computer for the following:

Medium-level gaming along the lines of Battlefield, GTA V, Fortnite, and older RTS games like Company of Heroes, etc... Most likely, nothing too crazy in regard to brand-new titles. I will also be doing light productivity applications along with moderate photo editing and light video editing (possibly medium later on). Usually, I will have anywhere from 20-40 tabs open in Chrome while listening to music. I'll be running on a widescreen Dell U3417W monitor running at 2k wide-resolution. I want to have a surround sound setup (5.1) with home theater speakers, so a home theater PC is an option. I would like to eventually use this with a larger TV as a monitor and game from the couch type scenario.

What I have in mind so far is a Ryzen 2600x, either ASRock X470 Master SLI/ac or AORUS X470 Gaming 7 WiFi, 16gb 3200 ram, a 512 SSD (PCIe drive I guess?), maybe a faster m.2 or NVMe 512gb drive (this I'm clueless about), and a very slim and small ATX case. I'm not interested in RGB, lights, water cooling, etc... I just want a fast machine - basically function over form. Please help me in this area.

I'm going to using an older GPU for now until the new generation is released. And, I have all the peripherals so I'm good there. Mainly, I can't figure out the real-world uses for the hard drive types, and how many PCIe slots I need, etc. I'll be running maybe two external hard drive for capacity storage, but internally, I don't need that many drives. I would like built-in WiFi unless you prevent a scenario where it's bad to use on-board, in which, I would need a solution.

I'm very tempted by ITX and a board such as the ASRock X470 Gaming ITX/ac, but I am ingnorant of the real limitations of ITX.

Please help...

Thanks,

-RC

Back