TechSpot

Building a new gaming pc

By dwb152
Jan 18, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is my first self build so I thought it wise to consult the advice of experts, like the ones who frequent this site. I will be using this system mainly for gaming, however I am on a pretty fixed budget. Any and all advice is welcome

Mobo - Gigabyte DS3 - $139

CPU - E6400 (2.13) - $220

Case - Thermaltake Saprano Black
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...N82E6811133145 - $79

PSU - Antec True Power Trio 550 (found a good deal, this is why i choose this psu, after rebates only $75).

Memory - Corsair XMS2 6400 (800) 512 X 1 (I can only afford 1gb now, but will upgrade to 2gb soon). - $120

DVD/CD Burner - Samsung 18x, with lightscribe - $39

Video Card - BFG 7900oc (I got this card for only 150 dollars brand new, with rebates)

Hard Drive - Western Digital 250gb 7200 rpm - $79

Like I said before, I will be mainly using this pc for gaming. Im trying to build the best budget pc, while trying not to compromise preformance. Almost all parts from newegg, will run approx. $950. Any advice about installation or alternate parts or anything in general is greatly appreicated.

2. alidabiri

alidabiri TS Rookie Posts: 540

i would skip antec. their voltage is not consistent.check the posting on this page under "weird problem". you can get a heck of a 500 watt psu for $59.00 from tigerdirect. the other stuff seems to be ok.

3. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,566

As long as you avoid the Smart Power series, Antec make extremely high quality PSUs. The one you have selected is a very good one.

4. beef_jerky4104

beef_jerky4104 Banned Posts: 1,094

Looks like a completely good budget gaming system. The only thing I can tell you to look up on is your Power Supply. Antec PSUs seem to have lost quality, still it looks like a good deal.

5. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,566

OK, that's two people saying Antec are low quality. I need some links to some tests that have been done showing some proof. The SmartPower series granted is not of the highest quality, but other than that I have never personally had a problem and all reviews of tests done on them say great things about Antec.

Links please.

6. dwb152

dwb152 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have heard that the smart power Antecs have been unreliable, however the true power line seems to be very reliable, and I have read many reviews saying the same thing.

7. kitty500cat

kitty500cat TS Rookie Posts: 2,407   +6

SmartPower, I believe, are Antec's cheapest power supplies.

Granted, their budget units are not gonna be the highest quality, but I think Antec's other series PSUs are good and long-lasting.

That looks like a decent setup, except if you want to upgrade your RAM to 2GB later, you should probably go with a 1x1GB setup instead of 2x512. That way you can just add a 1GB stick and run it in dual channel (2x1GB).

Cheers :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.