Building a new PC: GTX 670 or 660 Ti?

nukedukem

Hi everyone, I'm building a PC after many years of using laptops. I currently have a macbook pro 2010 running in boot camp and games aren't really cutting it anymore (getting 20-25 fps with Guild Wars 2).

I would be playing mostly Starcraft 2, GW2, BF3, Skyrim and future games. Not too concerned with running at ultra but would be a bonus. Here's the rig I'm planning so far:

1. Motherboard - [FONT=Arial]ASRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance Motherboard[/FONT]
2. Graphic interface - [FONT=Arial]Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 Overclocked 2GB[/FONT] / Gigabyte GTX 660 TI
3. Memory - [FONT=Arial]G.Skill Ares F3-1600C9D-8GAO 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3[/FONT]
4. CPU - i5 3570k
5. CPU Speed - 3.4Ghz
6. Power Supply Make/Model - [FONT=Arial]Corsair GS-600 V2 Power Supply[/FONT]
7. Watt output/Amperage - 600w

The whole thing is coming to around 1200 Australian dollars, for an extra 100 dollars I can get the GTX 670 OC instead of the GTX 660 TI.

So is it worth it? Seem's that benchmarks are giving it an average of 10fps more, maybe I can buy another 660 down the line and use that with SLI? Not sure if that can be done, I'm fairly rusty on all this.

Any advice?

What resolution are you playing at? If it's 1920x1080/1200 then a 660Ti will play all those games at max settings, but for BF3 you might have to turn down to 2x MSAA if you play the big online maps. The 670 is a significant improvement over the 660Ti though, but if you only have a 60Hz screen then you won't be able to notice the difference. It's up to you if you want to spend the extra $100 to get the 670 but from the performance/price perspective the 660Ti is slightly better value.

I'd get this Seasonic based PSU instead, it's only $13 more. Corsair's CX and GS are entry level PSUs and not really up to the standard of the rest of their range. Your build looks good though!

Good advice on the PSU. I changed it on my list. I'll probably go with the 670 and eat beans on toast for a month to make up the extra cash. It will all be worth it in the end when I see those shadows at 60fps instead of 52fps.

Or you could go for the 7950 which is $100 cheaper and will give similar performance to the GTX 670 and has huge overclocking potential. But if you really want to go Nvidia then you could also save a bit on the motherboard. No point harming your health over PC components :p

Try this build out:
screenshot20120921at647.png

Of course, I'm assuming you won't overclock the CPU, but if you are going to, then the 3570k is the better choice.

Back