Building a PC for gaming, I new a few hints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Lee

Its been a while since I look at PC components closely and i want to build a PC Mostly for gaming and usual school work. Here is a basic outline and I was wondering if this would be close to what i want. I want to be able to play games on High settings close to max possibly.

Mobo: ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX
Processor: AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core
RAM: mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (or get 1TB drive)
Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W
Video Card: 7800GT > HD5850.
I'll be using my EVGA 7800GT until I can get my hands on a HD5850 or a HD5870.
But I'm wondering will my CPU be alright to get me high settings near max with most games? I know its mostly the video card working but I was looking at Anandtech in the gaming test and the 720 seemed to be like in the middle ground area... so to speak. I don't want super high scores in everything just high in games and some head room for the future. If there is a better combination of parts (CPU, Mobo, and RAM) that will allow me to have better scores and performance please let me know because I have been an AMD fan for a long time and I'm not that familiar with Intel... haha.

I will be using XP until I upgrade to windows 7 next semester around February or March.

PC monitor... or actually LCD TV:
I'm thinking about getting a 32inch 1080P HDTV do that I can keep a resolution of 1920 x 1080 or get a monitor with a resolution of 1900x1200 and also use it for my 360.
I saw this Hanns G 28inch monitor on newegg that was awarded like 5 times and I thought it looked good. It has Size, I'll mainly use it for my PC obviously, but I also want to use it for my 360 and would it be like HD quality, you know, 1080P? I'm trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone... lol. Here is were I need some help.

Router: D-Link DGL-4300 IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless Gaming Router

Surge Protector: BELKIN BP112230-08 8 ft. 12 Outlets 4320

Hi Nick,
the x3 720 will handle whatever graphic solution you throw at it, if i might be a bit self indulgent, have a look at this:https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic133075.html
I have a x3 720 machine with a triple crossfireX 3x HD 4850. at the end of the guide I posted frame rates for Crysis Warhead.
Hope it helps! :)

Hi Nick,
the x3 720 will handle whatever graphic solution you throw at it, if i might be a bit self indulgent, have a look at this:https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic133075.html
I have a x3 720 machine with a triple crossfireX 3x HD 4850. at the end of the guide I posted frame rates for Crysis Warhead.
Hope it helps! :)

red might i add you have that cpu overclocked to 3.8ghz which he might not want to oc at all in which case the 720 will only produce average fps in games.

PC monitor... or actually LCD TV:
I'm thinking about getting a 32inch 1080P HDTV do that I can keep a resolution of 1920 x 1080 or get a monitor with a resolution of 1900x1200 and also use it for my 360.
I saw this Hanns G 28inch monitor on newegg that was awarded like 5 times and I thought it looked good. It has Size, I'll mainly use it for my PC obviously, but I also want to use it for my 360 and would it be like HD quality, you know, 1080P? I'm trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone... lol. Here is were I need some help.

When deciding between a TV and a monitor a couple of things should be considered.

The Hanns-G monitor you're referring to is what's called a "TN" panel. This is the cheapest method of manufacture available.

TN panels have extremely poor off angle viewing characteristics, but their response times have become very fast. Additionally many LCD TVs in this size class have begun to appear with TN panels also,

You would have to spring for a tuner if you went the monitor route.

Most TVs of 32" are "MVA" panels (or better). Their viewing angle is much, much improved over TM, but their response time is slower, usually 6ms or greater.

I'm fairly certain that TN panels are not in any TV 37" or above.

@ Newegg's current $299.95 sell, the Hann's G is a reasonable investment, the tuner issue notwithstanding.

However, Hauppage OTA TV software really sucks, and "Beyond TV" and other similar programs are a substantial added expense.

So, you need to help yourself here a bit also, by considering the balance of factors that make up your viewing habits. Where do I sit? Do I want other people to have good seats also? How much computer do I embrace, versus how much plain TV.

@ 37" screen size and below most TVs are 720P spec,and not 1080P. There would be an additional price premium on a 37" 1080P set. TVs in this size range will obviously be quite a bit more expensive than the Hanns-G monitor.

I think you would be best served by doing some serious thinking and major amounts of Window shopping.

As a final thought, resolution density is usually way higher in a monitor, hence they will apprear (& be) sharper.

Everything is a a compromise, I don't believe that a monitor makes the best TV, nor do I believe that a TV makes the best monitor.

I do think that using a very large TV as a monitor could be a tad overwhelming. But I say this as an observation of my personal habits. It seems to me it would take a bit of getting used to, having my computer monitor across the room from me, rather than sitting 2 feet away from it.

red might i add you have that cpu overclocked to 3.8ghz which he might not want to oc at all in which case the 720 will only produce average fps in games.

Not true Klep, UON i am always referring to stock speed. If i mean @ OC speed I bring that up. :)........you underwater yet? LOL

I was just thinking about getting the monitor because I'll be using the computer more than I will be playing the 360. I live live in a small room and I would basicly sit directly in front of it, so the range wouldn't bother me that well. So I think I could use a monitor over a tv. But what I want to know is How would the 360 look on the monitor versus how I play my 360 on a crt tv in 480p, great improvement, no?

Hi Nick. Just wondering if you could give us a rough budget for your build. You've selected good components but maybe there could be a better choice. :)

The build I already mentioned would cost around $730 with out Video card and monitor.
But I would like to get a HD5870 Which would cost me about $380, or a HD5850 $260
The monitor would set me back about $300.

video car + monitor = $560 - $680.
I still want that router, and so this make my budget for the rest of the PC to be about $900 - $1000

I already said the kind of performance I would like to have with using a monitor with a resolution of 1900X1200 or something like that. Anyways Thanks for the help so far guys. I have forgotten how friendly this place is. ^_^

Lets see. You may have a better option IMO.

CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115215 - $199.99
Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131405 - $169.99
RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231279 - $ 94.99
Case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129021 - $104.99
Video Card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102856 - $379.99
PSU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006 - $119.99
Router - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127158&Tpk=D-Link DGL-4300 - $129.99

Grand Total : $1199.93 (Without Monitor)

If you'd like to spend a little more you could contemplate an i7 build. However, as per your requirements I think this build will be very good. A little better than your original idea. (But keep in mind that the AMD Phenom II X3 720 is by no means an inferior performer. I'm using it myself and I love it. :))

That is an excellent build there Ritwik7.

@Nick Lee, I second Ritwik7's choices, but I would recommend going with a full-tower case like the NZXT Zero 2 or Silverstone TJ06-S instead of the one he recommended. Also, you could save a few bucks and go with the 650TX and the GA-P55-UD3R, unless you are planning on running a dual-card setup in the future, in which case you would be better off buying the 750TX and that ASUS board.

Thanks Rage. I agree with you on the fact that he should be going in for a full tower (especially if he intends to go CrossFire in future).

I think the HAF-932 / Antec 1200 would be great choices too. However, would they be better than the NZXT / Silverstone?

I was going to re use my full tower that I have in my sig and picture on my profile. I didn't see a need in buying a new case, not yet anyways.

Edit: I don't know if it is the links or my computer that I'm using now but the links for the CPU, RAM, and Motherboard appear to be broken. Where it brings me to newegg saying that there has been an error and They cannot find the product that I am looking for.

I was just thinking about getting the monitor because I'll be using the computer more than I will be playing the 360. I live live in a small room and I would basicly sit directly in front of it, so the range wouldn't bother me that well. So I think I could use a monitor over a tv. But what I want to know is How would the 360 look on the monitor versus how I play my 360 on a crt tv in 480p, great improvement, no?

It would be a monumental, perhaps astounding improvement over 480i, provided you buy the best graphics card you can afford.

The above build is a good build, I also am happy with it. Thanks again for your help and advice. ^_^

Really sorry. Didn't realise that the links were broken. Do I post them again?

I was saying that I like the CPU, motherboard and RAM you have selected. I'm probably going to buy it from newegg later this week, but before I do that I would like to learn a little more about the i5. Looks like I'll be spending hours on end at theinquirer and anandtech. lol

I was saying that I like the CPU, motherboard and RAM you have selected. I'm probably going to buy it from newegg later this week, but before I do that I would like to learn a little more about the i5. Looks like I'll be spending hours on end at theinquirer and anandtech. lol
The i5 is marginally more expensive than the 720, likewise, it is also marginally more powerful.

I'VE BEEN ISOLATED FOR ALMOST A WEEK 5870 ON SALE WUT?

The i5 is marginally more expensive than the 720, likewise, it is also marginally more powerful.

I'VE BEEN ISOLATED FOR ALMOST A WEEK 5870 ON SALE WUT?

If you have it in your budget going with the i5 might be the better choice.

And big LOLs, isolation sucks, 5870 have been on sale since Wednesday.

instead of the 5870 i tihnk ill grab one 5850 around christmas and another in ferbruary to have my bad ***** crossfire setup now that will be a crysis killer that is for (red) lol

One more Question guys, This is a sort of a new cpu with a new socket right? So I bought my thermaltake extreme 120 ultra heatsink like a year ago. Do I need to buy like an adapter for this new socket? If so can one of you help me find it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back