Building a System: OS Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadcell

Hey fellow techies .. Havn't posted in a while...
Anyway, I wanted to build my own desktop with my own money, buying seperate parts, possibly including a barebones kit, from discounters (Directron.com, Geeks.com, Newegg.com, etc) ... I understand the hardware and done a bit of research for a 13 year old, but here's the problem: My dad told me he didn't think it was a good idea to do that, for a simple reason: He said he'd tried the same thing, buying from Tigerdirect, but said that, if youre building your own PC, you can't easily install the OS. Now he tried this about 5 yearss ago with much less knowledge of hardware than I do...He advised my to look on Dell.com. Gimme a break (Typical Father - Anyway, eMachines and cheaper and more compatable) .... How would one, if they had installed a working PC and got the BIOS running, install an OS (XP or Vista) ... It's just like any other software installation, isn't it? I think its not as complicated as he puts it. If someone could give me an explanation, I'd be a real help.

P.S. - Here's the system I'm looking at:

NVIDIA SLI 650i Mobo, AMD Athlon 4200, (2x) 512 Corsair or Patriot RAM, 200 GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 450W PS, Integrated Sound Card

it wouldn't be any different to any other windows installation, you'd obviously want to get the latest nvidia drivers etc with a card like that once windows is installed, and i would recommend xp sp2 unless you really wanted vista

as a side note, don't go near an emachines, you'll regret it forever haha, they must be the most unreliable things on this planet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back