Building A Windows 95 Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXCellR8

So I've been salvaging computer parts for some time now and I finally have enough to start building some systems. Since I already have a reasonably powerful system, I've decided to go old skool and build myself a Windows 95 machine as well; to install some old DOS games I've got kicking around. I have all the parts I need including a 20GB hard drive.

I just wanted to know if anyone knew of a good place to score a copy of Windows 95 OEM. This whole thing hasn't cost me a dime but I don't mind spending a little on an OS. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy so I'm gonna need to buy one. I've looked around but it seems 95 is hard to come by these days...and I guess it should be. This is mostly just for fun and I'd appreciate any information. Thanks in advance!

Here are the system specs:

Pentium III (~600mhz)
128MB PC100 RAM
GeForce MX200 AGP card :D
Creative Sound Card
20GB HDD

Yea I keep coming across "license only" versions that don't include the installation CD... that does me no good. I just found a few on Nextag but there's a couple different versions. I've even tried ebay but there wasn't much, mostly upgrades. Ah well, I'll just have to keep looking...

Why not this one from the first item on Nextag's list? Near the bottom of the page it says, "This is a full DSP oem package including Media, COA license & Manual."

Yea I looked at that one but grew suspicious after looking at the version. I thought USB support was released with 2.1, which I ended up buying for less money anyways. Thanks for the help, I appreciate your time.

why Win95, Win98se is a much better bet. Amazingly I am still running 30+ Win98se PC's at work on a network with virtually no crashes or lock-ups. Win98se can only be described as a very stable OS if you dont stress it, it is better than Win95 in every way I can think of.

I may give 98se a try also if 95 doesn't work out. I already own a few copies of it, OEM even. This computer is just for playing old DOS games and screwing around with older apps. I probably won't be using it for anything else. I have a bunch of computer parts scattered everywhere so I may build a 98 machine as well.

Don't bother with 95, 98 or ME. Win9x at it's best is 98SE and that system will easily be able to run it. Just disable the menu animations and all the "view as webpage" and active desktop rubbish and it will run fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back