Building first new PC in 10+ years

D

davislane1

(Please see my previous thread for any input you might have on a budget machine I am working on.)

Parts first, reason I'm posing it later:

CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.0GHz
CPU Cooler: CoolMaster 212 Evo
GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC w/ ACX 2.0
PSU: EVGA 850W B2 Supernova
MOBO: ASUS Z170-Premium
RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3000MHz
SSD: 500gb Samsung 850 EVO
CASE: Corsair 780T (full tower)

Purpose: Running multiple trading platforms simultaneously (TradeStation, MT4 and NinjaTrader), light image work, video editing for YouTube, in-home game streaming (PC-to-Smartphone), some PC gaming, remote business meetings with desktop sharing/file transfers...sometimes all at once (minus the games, of course).

If the i7 didn't give it away, this is not a value build. Rather, I slapped together a bunch of components I figured would meet my immediate requirements over the next year while providing upgrade room for the next 5 or 6 years...without going over budget.

The only thing I may upgrade near term with this is the GPU. If the GTX 1070 shows up on EVGA's step-up list in the next couple of months, I might spring for that, if the price is right.

My primary question about this build is whether to keep an eye out for any deals on faster RAM. At present, I estimate I should be okay (the trading platforms like to eat RAM in spite of what their specs say), but may consider some of the faster stuff if significant price drops and a tangible benefit over what you see above.

Additionally, do you know any of these components to be failure risks and warrant the extended warranty?

Any thoughts are welcome.

Hello @davislane1

It is important to notice that a SSD is not the most reliable device to storage important stuff - like your business files - because SSD have a shorter lifespan in comparison to a HDD. By the time, some clusters of the SDD may start to fail and some of your files could be corrupted. So, focus the SSD for performance, and HDD reliability. You can keep all your games and office software in the SSD, but your data in a HDD. (240GB of SSD for the OS and essential software, 1TB of HDD for data and games)
I suggest the CoolMaster 212X, because it is a newer model, with a new system design - pipes, sink and stuff - in comparison to the 212 EVO. I don't know how is the weather in your region along the year, but if it is too hot, it would be better to use a watercooler instead, mainly if you are thinking of OC your CPU.
16GB of RAM, in my opinion, will be enought and you will be just fine. But if there is any deal and 2x16GB or 4x8GB is in an affordable range, you should take it. Memory RAM is one of the cheapest components in a build. By the way, higher frequency does not necessarily imply higher "speed" (youtu.be/_WsfeuWI7mU), so I think you can save a couple dollars there by taking a lower frequency RAM instead.
Your stuff are "premium" and they were built with a lot of protections to things like power shortage, short circuit and stuff, so you should be fine. Just keep in mind to not plug in your rig in a "dirty" wall socket.

Thanks for the feedback, Stone. I may upgrade to a liquid cooling system when the processor is a bit older (no reason to OC at the moment) but the 212 Evo seems to be doing a good job (the computer is also under a vent that spits out 68F air, so it gets help).

I plan on upgrading the GPU (GTX 1070 or 1080) and adding more storage at a later date, but will probably opt for an external backup drive and drop in another SSD for Raid 0.

P.S. What's a "dirty" wall socket?

Think he meant outlet on the same breaker as other device/appliance that draws a lot of power, causing brownouts. Speaking of which, I'd suggest adding a UPS, if you don't have one already. Depends on the model, some will kick in during brownouts, not just power outage. APC has a selection tool.

Nice build. Damn expensive mobo though. I didn't see noise specs on the ps, but I'm sure you checked it if it is important.

Nice build. Damn expensive mobo though. I didn't see noise specs on the ps, but I'm sure you checked it if it is important.

Thanks. Went with the more expensive mobo for longevity and convenience. Noise isn't even perceptible. If not for the lighting, you would know the thing is running--even under load.

Back