Building My First Gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilsmith

Hi I'm about attempt to build my first PC ever. I'm probably going to use my PC mainly for gaming, watch videos, and browse web. I'm not a hardcore gamer. Games I recently played are games like Dota, Dawn of War: SoulStorm, and WoW. My budget is in the low 600s.I intend to buy my stuff on Newegg but I don't mind Tiger Direct. I kinda want to stick with those two websites. I'm hoping to drop my PC price to 500 so I can get a 22" monitor while I'm at it but if its not possible I can stick with my old Sony monitor. Well here's a list of stuff that I might buy and hoping to get some recommendations and if all the parts are trust worthy and compatible.

My first item is actually a combo deal that I found recently on Newegg. It includes Mobo, CPU with no fans, HDD 1 TB, GPU GeForce 9500 (GDDR2), Ram 4 GBs, and Case with a no brand 585W PSU.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.194021 - $329.94 plus 35$ rebate.
I'm not sure about trusting the mobo and the case with the no brand 585W PSU. I can just buy a heat sink for the CPU. I think the GeForce is enough for my gaming needs. Don't know about the ram. Since this is a combo deal I can't change any of the items.

Heatsink ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125 -$29.99
Don't know if it will fit but I think it should.

Optical Drive: SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model SH-S223Q - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151173 -$26.99

Mouse and Keyboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109165 -$8.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826193002 -$4.99

Anyways total is 463.53 for all the parts. Just wanted to know if I was missing anything or if parts were compatible or if the parts would break on me.

Since its under 500 I was thinking of getting a 22in LCD Monitor with it
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3883448&sku=A179-2240 -$152 (price includes shipping)
Total including Mon: 615.53 (Yay fits my budget)
Also one last thing since I'm a newb builder would it be wise to get a Anti-Static Wrist Strap? I have another list of components for another computer if this computer turns out to be bad. Well anyways that's basically it. I'll greatly appreciate any feedback I get.

It's not absolutely necessary to get the anti-static strap but it wouldn't hurt either, especially since this is your first time. You should allow for the cost of an operating system. Windows XP or Vista will run a bit under $100 for OEM home versions.

ECS would not be my first choice as its reputation isn't that great but on the other hand I can't say from first hand experience. I share your reservations about that power supply. It's a bit of crap shoot as to whether it will work adequately for your purposes or not. The RAM should be fine.

Also, tax and shipping will add to your total so keep that in mind.

might try this instead man
Antec Three Hundred $58.95 Free Shipping
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB $74.99 Free Shipping
Acer X213Hbid Black 21.5" $149.99 Free Shipping
GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3 AM2+ $69.99($59.99 after $10.00 Mail-In Rebate)
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4670 512MB $66.99 ($56.99 after $10.00 Mail-In Rebate)
Antec Basiq BP430 430W $49.99 Free Shipping
CORSAIR XMS2 4GB $44.99 Free Shipping
AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz $59.99 Free Shipping
the total is $575.88 with alot of this stuff having free shipping or rebates and i think it will be a better buy over all and better performance. also a basic rule to follow is never use a PSU that comes with a case there are very few cases that have quality psu in them antecs being the exception sometimes.

Thank you spending your time and providing a list of items. So I tried putting your items all in cart and added up the prices with a mouse, keyboard, tax and shipping. The total came out to be $653.09. Its only about $38 more. I might consider your items because I don't really trust in the PSU that come with the case. Also have you built with all these parts before? because I don't want to buy them and find out that they all aren't compatible or don't work.Anyways thanks again for your help.

Edit: Instead of getting Antec 430 Watt and the Antec Three Hundred separately. Would it be better to get the a Antec 500 Watt PSU and Antec Three Hundred as a combo http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.193752 ?

np man and yeah go for the combo i didnt see that good observation all of these parts are compatible man and it should give you really good performance also you will be able to get one of the quad core cpus later as an upgrade so it makes alot of since to get this build. the thing about the combo is you will have to pay shipping and cases are usually expensive to ship but i still think the combo is a good deal so go for it.

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4670 512MB $66.99 ($56.99 after $10.00 Mail-In Rebate)
Antec Basiq BP430 430W $49.99 Free Shipping
If possible the Antec Earthwatts version is better than the basiq version, I would highly recommend the AE430.
4670 is a great card for the price, but 4770 is even better ^^, if you have $30 spare, I would say, throw in a 4770.

yes and the earthwatts is more expensive and so is the 4770 thats why i picked the parts i picked. i would make sure you got a sata model dvd burner instead of that ide drive.

I would recommend getting this PSU and this case instead.

I also recommend getting this cheap motherboard and then upping the video card to an HD 4770 as hellokitty[hk] recommended above. You should still be within budget. If not, go with klepto's recommendations, they're great.

Well thanks for the advice I think I'll stick with the 4670. But as for the 500W PSU been reading some bad reviews on it. I think instead of getting the Earthwatts, I might go for the combo deal of the 430W Basiq with the Antec 300 Case. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.193755. and I chose a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151171 for my Optical Drive.

Edit: Didn't see your post Rage. But I don't think I'd go that route. I think its over my budget. Thanks for the help though.

The Earthwatts PSUs have better efficiency in general, which translates to lower heat output and power savings. It is the better way to go if you can afford it.

The Basiq series are also solidly-built, but lack the high efficiency of their peers.

Thank you for the heads up but I think I'll keep the Basiq since I can't really afford it. Another question would I need to buy Thermal Paste for the CPU?

The 740G-based mobo will be fine too. The only gripe you may have is the fact that it has only two DIMM slots.

Well I think I might only use 4GBs of RAM but I think I'll stick with the 770 since mobo is an important part of the comp. Also since the monitor discount from Newegg lowered I think I'm going to buy the one from Tigerdirect that I orginally posted in first post.

yeah i saw that it was a weekend special but the monitor you posted will be fine man. have fun with it i think you will be quite pleased.

Thanks again. Well my neighbor just gave me a GeForce 8600 GT(DDR3) for free. So should I take it or stick with the Raedon? If so is there a Mobo I can get that would fit the case and compatible with everything?

Edit: Wait does it even have anything to do with Mobo?

It's not sixty dollars faster.
Would you be paying for it if it were?
Well considering the 8600 is free...you can't really compare the two in terms of price over performance, the 8600 wins if you factor in price. The 4770 is still much faster than the 8600 though, i'm fairly sure at least twice as fast.

Edit: Wait does it even have anything to do with Mobo?
Both cards should work with the motherboard.

Well considering the 8600 is free...you can't really compare the two in terms of price over performance, the 8600 wins if you factor in price. The 4770 is still much faster than the 8600 though, i'm fairly sure at least twice as fast.
These threads go on and on substituting this part for that depending on the OP"s budget, even figuring rebates into the final cost. I know this is true because you were going on in another thread about what a great bargain you received on an Antec EA-380.

My point here is that the 8600GT quite a decent card, and will run many, many games.So, in "terms of price versus performance", it's as good a deal as you're likely to get.. I'm going to factor in the fact that you're an ATI fanboy, so I'll apply a little Kentucky windage to the "twice as fast" estimate.

I do find it a little perhaps disturbing the way we casually spend other peoples money. And I did say we, so there's no reason to get bent..

To me a computer isn't something that's finished the first time it boots.The idea is to get it up and running, and make it run better or do more, if and when the money's around. Or be happy with what you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back