Built a computer and blank screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Problem with a computer I have just built, below are the specs. I have tested the hard drive, ram, video card on another computer and all work but when I turn on the computer I built it powers up but blank screen. Please help

Intel BOXED CELERON D 2.53GHZ-533FSB 256K S478
Matsonic MS9127C VIA P4X400 Socket 478 ATX MB w/Snd
WesternDigital 40GB EIDE ULTRA/ATA-100 5400RPM
TRENDware 56K V. 92 PCI MODEM ( TFM-PCIV92A )
Chaintech XGI Volari V3 / 128MB DDR / AGP 8X / VGA / DVI / TV Out / Video Card
PNY Optima Series 256 MB DIMM PC2700 DDR Memory Upgrade

just found this info on your motherboard Supported Processors:
Intel Pentium 4 Socket 478 processors w/400/533 MHz FSB
Intel Celeron Socket 478 processors w/400/533 MHz FSB
(Willamette and Northwood core processors only)

Is your processor one of the above

We need more details on what happens when you power up.

Are you getting any system beeps? Fans spinning on motherboard? Any LED lights on your motherboard?

new build powers up but blank screen

No beeps when starting up and no LED lights on mobo but fan spins on cpu and power lights up keyboard for a second and psu seems to be working fine, but the computer just sits there with blank screen
Intel Celeron Socket 478 processors w/400/533 MHz FSB is the processor I have installed onto mobo

On your motherboard close to the 20 pin main power connector is a square, white 4 pin secondary power connector. Is that connected to the power supply?

No beep?

Either you don't have any speakers on the motherboard, or your ram is failing the memory test. Do you have any other ram you can test? Try re-seating the ram you have again, and if you are using two sticks, try with just one instead.

Have swapped ram with good ram and no good and have put the ram from new built machine into good computer that I know works and it fine, but in the newly built computer no work, have used all 3 slots to test if different with ram no good, have checked the 4 pin sec plug made sure it is in good but still no good, have changed psu but still no good. I am at a loss to what is wrong, the only thing left is to change the mobo

It's possible that your motherboard is shorting on the case. Just a thought. Did you use the riser pins when you installed the motherboard?

I thought that and I did use riser pins but not a lot as I only had a few, but the mobo is still risen so I don't know where to go from here

I guess if I were you I would:

-take it all apart
-install only the basics (cpu, 1 stick ram, video card) and try to get a beep.
-take out the CPU and check the pins. Any bent?

since you have already replaced your PSU, I suppose you can rule that out.

It may be time to start RMAing some parts.

The riser pin thing may actually be your problem, now that I think about it....

Especially if you have put the screws in the holes for which you don't have riser pins (I'll assume you didn't). Are you 100% sure it is not touching somewhere?

No beeps when starting up and no LED lights on mobo but fan spins on cpu and power lights up keyboard for a second and psu seems to be working fine, but the computer just sits there with blank screen
Intel Celeron Socket 478 processors w/400/533 MHz FSB is the processor I have installed onto mobo

Sounds like the BIOS is dead. It happened to me when I flashed the wrong BIOS on a mobo. I had to buy an external flash programmer to get it running again...

But at the same time, new BIOSes still can boot even if it's the wrong BIOS on the mainboard. There is some protection if it happens. Try to look for that on the mfg's website, what else, your mobo might be dead.

All worked out, mobo is dead, have tried it with another board and all is working so thanks to you all for your help and advice, thats what you get for ordering a cheap mobo from amazon.

Thanks again

You're probably already on top of this, but when you get your new board, make sure you have all the riser pins. It is possible that this is what fried the current board. It just takes a quick instant of contact with the case and ZAP :hotouch:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back