TechSpot

Burn process failure

By korrupt
Oct 10, 2006
  1. Hey guys, I have been burning some dvd's (all legal in case youre wondering) using dvd shrink, but I keep getting a burn process failure. It can't be the disks because they are very good quality and have never had any problems with them before. It is not a new drive or anything, I've been burning with it before with no problems - therefore I don't think it can be the drivers. Attached is an error log.

Any help appreciated,

Regards,

Korrupt

2. korrupt

korrupt TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 716

******************UPDATE******************

Ok, so for the time being I figured I'd transfer all the video data on my portable harddrive. I copied the lot, and pasted it onto my harddrive but after it was about 80% copied, I got an error saying something about cyclic redundancy check error...

Is there a problem with my harddrive? My optical drive? DVD shrink?

Regards,

Korrupt

3. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

Are you transferring it to your external drive from your optical drive?

If so, sounds like your source optical disc is bad.

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

In every case I've seen of a CRC error it has been caused by the source drive, but NOT every case has been because of a bad hard drive. I'd run some tests to check for bad sectors on your external, if that is where you were copying from, that part was not clear.

5. kirock

kirock TS Rookie Posts: 1,221

It sounds like he was copying from his external to his internal HDD. But all those errors (DVD not writing and now CRC error) could be failing RAM or a dieing PSU. If the 12V rail is flucuating you might cause DVD and HDD errors, as the motors won't maintain proper RPM's.

Just a thought.

6. Rick

You really need to fix this. Your optical drive should be in DMA mode.

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic59704.html

7. korrupt

Thanks for your replies. What I did was this: The dvd encodes and puts the files in a temporary folder that I select (it stores it on the harddrive of my pc), then it'll start burning but fail after approx 80%. What I then decided to do was copy the files from the temporary folder on my pc to my portable so that I wouldnt have to encode it all again, what then happens is: Cyclic redundancy check error. I don't think it can be my external drive because I've been using that with no problems.

Regarding putting the drive in DMA mode, both ide channels are set to "DMA mode if available"

I'm starting to believe there is something serious here since I got an error a few days ago - Which I had never had before on this lappy. http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=342677#post342677

Could this have anything to do with it?

Regards,

Korrupt

8. Rick

That doesn't mean your optical drive is in DMA mode though. According to Nero, it is not. Windows does a 'best effort' to enable DMA. If there are errors burning CDs (like you may have experienced), Windows disables DMA, even though 'DMA mode if available' is enabled. The thread I linked has instructions on how to fix this issue.

CRC errors from drive to drive transfers sounds a little weird. You should test your hard drive and memory to rule out hardware failure... But I have a feeling this is a software issue for some reason.

9. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

The source drive seems to have gone bad. This has happened to me on one occasion and it got much worse later until it finally gave me a boot failure error while booting windows. The only solution was to throw the drive away and get a new one.

10. korrupt

How would I go about testing my drive and ram for errors?

Regards,

Korrupt

11. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

For testing ur RAM, use memtest from here and burn the iso onto a CD. Boot the PC with the CD and let it run overnight.
    For ur HDD, go here and follow the instructions on that page.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.