Burnout

Status
Not open for further replies.

jah711

I was watching a movie the other night when all of the sudden my screen goes out. The CPU lights start blinking like crazy and it started rebooting over and over. Next thing I noticed is the smell of burning plastic coming from my CPU. I quickly shut it down before serious damage came to it.
I noticed that the cpu heatsink burned out. Which in turned blew out my video card. That's all fixed now. It didn't actually damage my 2.8 processor. (At least I hope it hasn't.)
Anyway, I'm also having a noticable problem with one of the internal hd. The slave works fine loads quick like it used to. But the primary at one time wouldn't load up. It would get to the XP loading screen with the loading bar moving after three minutes it would just reboot. Finally got it to load and a quick erro message appeared and went away to fast for me to catch it word for word. But it was something about something missing from the registry and has now been recovered. Now the hd loads but it loads after three, four minutes without rebooting and loads everything at a slow pace now. I did all-(virus , spyware, adware, etc. checks.) It still loads everything slow. I did xp repair pro and tune up utilities. Still slow. I reinstalled Win Xp in another directory. That directory of windows works fine. Everything loads quick.Go back to the old one-everything slow.
Is there a way that I can fix this slow directory of Win XP Pro without the reformatting nonsense? Thanks.
My specs:
Asrock P4VM800 P4 2.8ghz
180gb hd primary & 120gb hd secondary (internal)
1gb ram (512x2) pc3200
Win Xp Pro sp2
ATI 9800 128mb Graphic card
450w psu
Dynex 5.1 sound card
All updated drivers

First go to your bios and change the setting after error message. Bios settings automaticly have it set so that when you have a windows errow like a BSOD it auto restarts, this can be changed in your bios, your HD is obviously bad. Try to recover what you can than reformat. If that doesn't work get a new HD

CPU partially burned out.

I have seen a similar symptom where Windows would not fully load, or was very slow loading, or rebooted before loading. This was found to be an overheated CPU (the fan failed), and this presumably causes certain CPU commands to fail, although not the whole CPU. Your burning event makes this quite likely I'm afraid. The sysmptom apparently being due to HDD is likely just a side affect of commands not being executed correctly, or at all.

Check your cables, see if theyre not damaged, if not, try the hd on a a seperate pc or maybe your processor is damaged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back