Burnt smell after installing USB backward

I have an old computer that I baught in around 06-07 and I made the rather stupid mistake of installing a usb upside down. After this there was a burnt smell and my computer shut down. I was wondering what went wrong inside the computer and about how much it would cost to fix it. I have been going through computers really fast and I really don't want to buy a new one. Help?

I would think you burned out the USB connector. If it was on the motherboard, You may have to replace the whole board. If it was on the front of the case. You may get lucky and be able to disconnect it. It is really hard to say what it would cost you till . You try to repair it. It is possible it my have short out other things to. . Well hold on somebody here might be able to help you out more

After this there was a burnt smell and my computer shut down.
You said your computer shut down but will it boot back up? There is a possibility all you did was burn out a motherboard fuse for the USB port and the computer will still bootup without the USB port functioning.

P.S.
A motherboard fuse is non-replaceable unless you know how to solder electronics. I know fuses can be replaced because I have previously done so, however it is NOT an easy task at all.

It is just possible that you took out the PSU, in which case it would be useful if you can try in a spare one to test this?

@ cliffordcooley My computer doesn't boot up at all which I guess would suggest the motherboard is totalled.

@ Zoltan Head Would a PSU from an old computer work with it? I have a couple old computers lying around that don't work either.

Yes, as long as they have the same form factor & motherboard connections, and a similar or larger power rating to the suspect one your old PSUs should work for testing (or temporary replacement if successful) (y)

Just kind of backing up what Zoltan has said here in regards to possibly finding yourself a viable test power supply. He gave you a good idea, but I'll take it one further, if you decide on using a test power supply, in some cases form factor does not apply. You need not to worry yourself so much if your test power supply is going to be a proper or perfect fit inside that computer case. Your primary goal is just to check for power, as in, will the computer turn on! If you find an old computer laying around you, which it's power supply is known to be good, remove it from that machine, even if it is an odd ball design or shape, or is to fat or skinny, that all means nothing. If it won't 100% fit, just take your computer, remove the now suspect power supply, make sure everything about it is removed, lay it on it's side, with the gut's of it pointing straight up, while jostling the power supply from hand to hand plug in all it's power connectors, as long as it's only going to a couple minutes or so, it's safe to test the power supply with it in your hand or balancing it on the computer case somehow or resting beside it on a table, counter, work bench ect. But if you go for the hand option, only a couple minutes tops, after that power supply's can sometimes start to really cook, you don't want a burnt hand!

Also power rating is kind of important here, just make sure the test power supply is within the range of the now old and possibly dead power supply.

Back