Buyer beware: RAM inside new Mac mini isn't user replaceable

By Shawn Knight
Oct 20, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Apple's recent iPad media gathering also saw the Cupertino-based company unveil a revised Mac mini, the first in roughly two years. The machine now packs a pretty solid punch with its Intel Haswell processor and improved graphics but there's something...

Read more
  2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,106   +1,375

Those configuration are quite sufficient for the purpose of Mac Mini. It would only be short for things like video editing, for which the machine isn't suitable anyway.

Anyone looking for a performance Mac would get an iMac or Macbook Pro. The former supports 32GB of RAM and the latter - 16GB.
  3. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,318   +262

Dell and other vendors have been getting RAM soldered to the motherboard in ultrabooks for some time, I found out the hard way with my XPS 12. Forever stuck with 4GB of RAM... but considering how much money I saved it's a price I'll learn to live with. XD

As for the Mac Mini, I agree with VitalyT's sentiments, though user upgradability is still always a welcome/preferred option, if not only because of how vendors gouge us with RAM/HDD/SDD prices...
  4. S_Brideau

S_Brideau TS Rookie Posts: 65

Why do they make the RAM so expensive in Macs, it's the same RAM as any other brand of computers.
  5. lipe123

lipe123 TS Evangelist Posts: 632   +163

Lots of mac's use ECC ram, not the same.
  6. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,202   +422

As far as I know only the Mac Pro uses ECC.
  7. Guest17

Guest17 TS Enthusiast Posts: 92   +37

Thank God Apple finally soldered the RAM to the motherboard! I was beginning to think they were losing their grip. No loyal fanboy should be allowed to get away with anything so heinous as upgrading their RAM without paying the obligatory 5-or-6 hundred dollar surcharge. Way to go, Apple!
    Wendig0, SirChocula, St1ckM4n and 2 others like this.
  8. SeiveD

SeiveD TS Enthusiast Posts: 37

I don't see the problem. You'll never need more than 640kb of ram anyway.
    S_Brideau likes this.
  9. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 850   +352

Nobody needs more than........
  10. It's about manufacturer profit margins. You want more then you will pay a lot more, and now you can only get it from one source. Pay your Apple Tax and carry on you minions!
  11. BadThad

BadThad TS Enthusiast Posts: 58   +26

For $600-700 I can build a Windows PC that smokes anything Apple makes.
  12. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

In that same size? Will it run OS X? Those are absolutely the 2 most critical selling points for people that would buy a Mini. And you won't 'smoke' a Mac Pro for that kind of money.
  13. You better be a midget to build a good computer that size. I have worked on an ITC mini tower and it was a pain.