Buyer of new Tesla Model Y faced $14,000 repair bill one day after purchase, company blamed...

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! Buying a brand new car only to receive a $14,000 repair bill less than 24 hours later sounds like a nightmarish and frankly unlikely scenario. Yet this is exactly what happened to an unfortunate Tesla Model Y buyer, highlighting one of several quality issues that the automaker is reportedly more aware of than it lets on.

Shreyansh Jain told Reuters that his Model Y came to a halt one day after he paid $55,000 for the new EV, which had just 115 miles on the clock at the time of its demise. After making a slow turn into his neighborhood, the vehicle's front-right suspension collapsed. Jain lost control as parts of the car loudly scraped the road and it came to a stop.

Repairing the vehicle took almost 40 hours of labor. It involved, among other things, rebuilding the suspension and replacing the steering column. A worker initially texted Jain to say they'd found "no evidence of an external damage" and implied that Tesla would pay for the car to be fixed, which would be expected in the case of a new car. The final cost came to $14,000, but the company refused to pay the costs as it blamed the incident on "prior" suspension damage.

Jain had to pay a deductible of about $1,250 to have the work covered by his insurance company, which after the claim hiked his rates sharply on another car he owned. The experience led to the former Tesla fan selling the repaired Model Y for $10,000 less than he paid for it.

Reuters writes that it reviewed Tesla documents and interviewed more than 20 customers and nine former Tesla managers or service technicians. It discovered that Jain's incident was one of thousands of similar cases involving relatively new vehicles dating back at least seven years. They cover Tesla's entire lineup and across the globe.

The publication writes that Tesla has long known far more about the frequency and extent of the suspension and steering issues in its EVs than it discloses to customers and safety regulators. It often blames owners, telling them the parts were not faulty.

Some of the Model Y QC issues reported in 2020: botched paint, defective door and glass seals, loose seatbelts

Elon Musk has admitted that Tesla vehicles can ship with quality issues, many of which were reported in Model Y EVs during 2020. It's especially common when production ramps up. "When you go faster, you just discover these things," he told automotive engineer Sandy Munro in 2021. "If we knew them in advance, we'd fix them in advance."

Tesla vehicles have been the subject of several National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) investigations in the past. The agency announced a recall of every vehicle the company has sold in the US due to autopilot flaws this month.

In related news, a recent study found that Tesla drivers were involved in more vehicle accidents than drivers of any other automobile brand. It's unclear why.

Permalink to story.

Doubt it, there have been a number of stories just like this one on Tesla. They have proven themselves to be an unworthy auto maker and not worth anyone's time or money. Two of my neighbors have them and have had nothing but trouble. One was "locked out" of her Tesla due to their error and they have yet to compensate her for having to take a taxi to and from work for two days. Frankly, I'm surprised and disappointed that the FTC has not heavily fined them or suspend their business licenses .....

I'm not a fan of EVs in general, but I gotta say, news single Tesla out because it's popular, they're not gonna talk about some issue a VW driver had because it's not controversial. Since Elon bought Twitter and voiced his opinion on things, people on the opposite political spectrum started shitting on him and everything he does. Before that, he was an idol to them.

Since Elon bought Twitter and voiced his opinion on things, people on the opposite political spectrum started shitting on him and everything he does. Before that, he was an idol to them.

I used to like Elon. I thought he was a dude who wanted to do good things. SpaceX, Tesla, were amazing things when they were starting out. But then he started running his mouth and I got to see Elon for what he actually is, a deceitful thin skinned man child with fascist tendencies. It made me no longer want a Tesla. It’s also ok to change your opinion and like new things or dislike things you used to like. You don’t need to be, and shouldn’t want to be the exact same person forever.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of EVs in general, but I gotta say, news single Tesla out because it's popular, they're not gonna talk about some issue a VW driver had because it's not controversial. Since Elon bought Twitter and voiced his opinion on things, people on the opposite political spectrum started shitting on him and everything he does. Before that, he was an idol to them.

From what I saw on an article about this the other day, was that this is like engineering 101.
There's like something you have to do when designing a car or every single one would do have this generic fault.
Every car manufacturer has made sure this doesn't come about since time began, but Tesla as late to the game as they are, can't even get the basics right or learn from other wiser brands

If it is true Tesla EVs are involved in more accidents than any other automobile, it can only be attributed to poor production procedures like cutting corners, or poor engineering, or both.

OK, I will ask: What's your opinion on this lemon of a car that needs to be fixed by day 2 to the tune of $14000, AND Elon's company is denying any fault??

If it was your car, you'd be singing a different tune!!

Sometimes, people would despise somebody who sells expensive lemons and acts like a thin-skinned man-baby, regardless of their political affiliation.

Since Elon bought Twitter and voiced his opinion on things, people on the opposite political spectrum started shitting on him and everything he does. Before that, he was an idol to them.

Tesla's terrible quality has been in the news for years before Elon bought Twitter. Not only was the cars always bad, companies had to take Tesla to court to force them to remove their solar panels from warehouses cause they kept catching fire. Look at some interviews online, you'd be shocked how bad things have been and how many people are just not aware of it. Some people paid huge amounts for solar systems that did not work at all for months (and they get no support at all) or installations did damage to their house.

If I ever buy an EV, it will NEVER be a Tesla because quality was never important to Tesla.

The biggest threat to Tesla has always been Elon Musk...

Well, this is not a car in the real meaning...it is worst than a knockoff. Why would anyone be surprised by such an article is a mistery to me.

Tesla's terrible quality has been in the news for years before Elon bought Twitter. Not only was the cars always bad, companies had to take Tesla to court to force them to remove their solar panels from warehouses cause they kept catching fire. Look at some interviews online, you'd be shocked how bad things have been and how many people are just not aware of it. Some people paid huge amounts for solar systems that did not work at all for months (and they get no support at all) or installations did damage to their house.

If I ever buy an EV, it will NEVER be a Tesla because quality was never important to Tesla.

The biggest threat to Tesla has always been Elon Musk...
I know based on things I've read and seen that Teslas are poor quality, I'm not disputing that. My point is that news and people overblow any issue with Tesla because they don't like Musk. You are pretty much proving my point. I don't have a horse in this race and I don't respond emotionally like many.

I mean we can have a comprehensive and genuine conversation about the last couple of decades of NHTSA mandated recalls but it's going to get really uncomfortable for the folks that haven't actually done any reading of the subject matter. Those folks who are particularly big fans of Toyota, GM, Ford or basically any other brand (except maybe Volvo) are going to find much more damning behavior in legacy brands than can be levied (for now) at Tesla. Suffice to say this incident with the Tesla vehicle and its suspension is currently under investigation in at least Sweden and I believe Germany as well though that may have only been a inquiry. Things like this are the reason for Lemon laws (which we just got finally in my home province), the point of a lemon law is that modern vehicles are exceedingly complex and on occasion (though shockingly rarely considering what we ask of our vehicles) they are simply made incorrectly and need to be replaced by the manufacturer. This has the added benefit of precluding a possibly ruinously massive and expensive recall to a manufacturer while conserving the limited regulatory resources, basically it is a more granular approach to resolve the issue.

As of yet NHTSA has not issue a mandated recall for Tesla vehicles (though based on what shakes out in Sweden, that is almost certainly a tangential play regarding the current push to force Tesla into a collective bargaining agreement) they may take a much closer look at this. Point of note though folks, the tables of investment into Tesla are changing very quickly with it beginning to occupy swathes of portfolios managed by some of the true power players in the equity markets such as Black Rock and Vanguard so don't be surprised if you begin to notice a lull in the deluge of negativity surrounding Musk and his myriad enterprises. As John Stewart said on the day he had the decency to fall on his sword, "Follow the ****ing money!".

No he was idol because his PR machine actually duped people into thinking he was some smart guy that invented a lot of things, when in fact he is nothing more than a criminal fraudster that the SEC alone should have sent to prison, and he has never invented a thing in his life. Once all this information came to light and combine that with his unhinged racist comments, support for the scum of the earth like Putin, Israel, and so on he is getting what he deserves.

WTF?! Buying a brand new car only to receive a $14,000 repair bill less than 24 hours later sounds like a nightmarish and frankly unlikely scenario.
I agree. Teslas are known for poor quality... nothing to do with TWitter. HE makes a lot false poromies like a showman. Then he gets invesitgated suddenly, that crap robot v.2 comes out, and the cybertruck sudden appears. "look offer there... slight of hand" https://www.tesladeaths.com/ The bigger hoax is saving the planet. EV's produce just as much carbon as a car total. the Lithium is incredibly toxic. The fires from these EV's spews gobs of toxins and carbons. Remember, the carbon hoax is poised by the WEF and ESG funds. The earth is greener now than in several thousand years. (Seriously, search for videos on fires and explosions, fire marshall's discussing ev fires etc.) Hydrogen!

Spot on.

No he was idol because his PR machine actually duped people into thinking he was some smart guy that invented a lot of things, when in fact he is nothing more than a criminal fraudster that the SEC alone should have sent to prison, and he has never invented a thing in his life. Once all this information came to light and combine that with his unhinged racist comments, support for the scum of the earth like Putin, Israel, and so on he is getting what he deserves.
He was idolized because media praised everything he did, now they **** on everything he does. Media functions in this way: If you side with them politically, they praise you whatever you do, good or bad. If you side against them politically, you can cure cancer, you will still be the bad guy. As for the people who idolized him, they get their opinions swayed every day by BS and PR, because they don't have the ability to think, unfortunately.

There is way more politics to bashing Elon than issues with Tesla or SpaceX or whatever else he makes.

Thankfully there is a proper choice of e-cars, and Tesla is surely not on my list.

Let's put it into a little more perspective here, rather than focusing on only the parts that don't appeal to you personally.

People used to idolize Elon Musk because we rarely heard from him. When we did hear from him it was usually some new innovative thing or idea he was announcing. It's very easy to idolize someone when all you see is that he got rich quickly and only does positive things that most people like. Everyone assumed him to be some kind of genius.

But then his fame and fortune went to his head. Suddenly he had an opinion on everything from celebrities to politics and assumed he could get away with anything. Now all he does is crap on everyone all day long and you wonder why people hate him and crap on him in return.

He constantly talks out of both sides of his mouth. He says he's a free speech absolutist (which is quite an asisine idea in the first place) but only as long as you agree with him. As soon as you attack him or ridicule him you get banned from his platform. I suppose those things don't fall under free speech, but racism, bigotry, hate speech, antisemitism, sexism, etc. those are covered by absolute free speech.

I could go on listing all the ridiculous nonsense he's said or done in the past few years, so yes all the hatred and crapping on he's getting is very well deserved.

He was idolized because media praised everything he did, now they **** on everything he does. Media functions in this way: If you side with them politically, they praise you whatever you do, good or bad. If you side against them politically, you can cure cancer, you will still be the bad guy. As for the people who idolized him, they get their opinions swayed every day by BS and PR, because they don't have the ability to think, unfortunately.
Sorry, but all your explanations boil down to one thing: politics. Anyone that you agree with politically cannot be called out by the media or anyone else for any reason, because if they are then it's only because of... politics!

The fact that some of these scumbags like Musk (and Orange Julius) are just horrible human beings does not matter to you. As long as they agree with you politically they are saints and can do no wrong. And of course they're the eternal victims of vicious, biased media attacks if anyone dares to point a finger at them.

I think the difference between VW cars having problems and Tesla cars having problems is that VW has the ability to stop the line and fix the problems while Tesla can't really do that as they have quotas to meet or their stok price drops and Elon goes off on everyone. So ALOT more defects come out for the Dealers to then fix which is causing alot of problems for them as they take alot of time and aren't getting exta money to do it.

Back