TechSpot

Buying new PC speakers, suggestions?

By Dave8603
Dec 1, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Looking for good deals, I have a good amount of money to work with but don't wanna go crazy. I would also appreciate if anyone could point me to a good, reliable review site for speakers. Thanks.
  2. Sean

Sean TS Rookie Posts: 131

Hmm, what brands are you familair with, and what will you be doing mainly?
  3. Dave8603

Dave8603 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 25

I'm not necessarily looking for any big brand names, I just wanted really good quality speakers for a good price to play games and listen to music with. I'm gonna start Prey soon and I have an Audigy 2 card so I figured I should make better use of that. Right now I just have the stock harmon kardon speakers from Dell. I was thinking of some type of 2.1 or 5.1 speakers.
  4. Sean

Well, for a good 2.1 system i would recommend one of altec lansings highend 2.1 systems, or klipsch 2.1's. If you would want to go 5.1, then deff the klipsch Ultras, about 350$ or one of logitech's 5.1 systems.
  5. hewybo

hewybo TS Maniac Posts: 570

Logitech

I have and highly recommend, the Logitech z5500d 5.1 speakers. They are hooked to a Soundblaster X-Fi card, and they a great. 500 watts, and clear, clean response. The sub faithfully presents the lows, not just "thumps" like some do. They can be had around $250 USD.:grinthumb
  6. GeekieNick101

GeekieNick101 TS Rookie Posts: 524

7. Dave8603

Dave8603 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 25

I think I might go with the z-5500s. Those look like the best for the price and I was checking around, I definitely want optical inputs. Thanks for all the help. My last question has to do with my soundcard. I currently have an older Audigy 2 card. I've been thinking that this is pretty decent and I should get better speakers for it than the stock ones the computer came with. Would I have to upgrade the card or could this card handle the z-5500s?
  8. Sean

that will work fine.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.