Buzzing when no sounds play over HDMI connection

Okay so I've read the other threads and figure that...well...I figured nothing.

Audio sounds great. It's from my gigabyte motherboard, not from an expansion card. I have a jumper cable running from my mobo to my video card for the audio signal. When there is no audio playing on my computer, there is a sort of static buzz that has what seems like a specific rate to it... "blip blip____blip blip___blip blip"..... sort of like that

All inputs/recording settings have been disabled.

The only fix I have is to basically open an app (winamp) and have it play audio at 0% volume. It's kind of stupid and would prefer to not have to do this. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have a jumper cable running from my mobo to my video card for the audio signal.
That's the norm for HDMI. HUMMMMMM or other noise when no sound is being produced intentionally is usually a grounding or cable shielding problem.

To be honest, my laptop HDMI is iffy; by that I mean, a connection to the HDTV at home and at one auditorium is just fine, but at another location, I get hum all the time both with and without sound originating from the laptop - - using the same hdmi cable.

The laptop has a plastic case and of course can not be shielded and therefore subject to 'environmental' interference'

In normal audio circuits, a/c hum indicates poor or no shielding (ie grounding) OR
the leads on the audio cable are reverse - - the ground on the cable is wired (by mistake) to the audio hot lead (ie the input).

On your PC, make sure you have a grounded A/C power cord and the wall plate has an active ground connection.

Back