C:/$Mft is corrupt in XP Home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

leem

I have been dealing with an issue that I can't seem to resolve. I have a Dell T2482 emachine with a 2.4 athlon processor, XP Home, 256 Ram, and an 80G hd. It is formatted with NTFS.

It started saying the C:/$Mft is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the chkdsk utility. I read in the techspot archives and that I need to manually set the virtual memory. I have it set the minimum at 2MB and the max at 550MB. However, when it shows the actually allocation, it says 0. I can't get it to change.

I am on SP1, but I can't add SP2 because it says there is not enough space--even tho I have only used about 6g of my HD.

It promps me to run CHKDSK, but when I do, It says, "chkdsk cannot run because the process is in use by another...." I can set it to run chkdsk on next start-up.

If I try to shut of the computer using windows, it never loads. It gets stuck on the blue "Welcome" screen. If I manually turn off the power, it will run chkdsk and then windows starts---with the "C:/$Mft is corrupt" error. It still takes a few minutes to boot up.

I have been researching this alot, and it seems no one has found a fix--except here, and the archive fix does not work. The HD is only 2 years old and the computer seldom get's used. Any ideas?

*NOTE* the one thing I have not tried is reformatting it to FAT32. On one of the seaches I did on google, it said that was the only thing that worked with a dell.

MFT is the Master File Table and the heart of NTFS.

If chkdsk cannot fix it then you should copy off all the important data you have from that machine while you still can. Every writing activity you do on that partition can potentially destroy data.

Run a memory test and full diagnostic on the hard drive (utilities from www.memtest86.com and the HD manufacturer's website). Do a BIOS update. Reinstall Windows from scratch reformatting the old installation.

The MFT has a copy of itself on the disc. Normally, chkdsk is supposed to be able to restore the good copy over a corrupted one. However, like nodsu suggests, I would copy all the data off the disc before doing any maintenance.

Smithy51

I have been dealing with an issue that I can't seem to resolve. I have a Dell T2482 emachine with a 2.4 athlon processor, XP Home, 256 Ram, and an 80G hd. It is formatted with NTFS.

It started saying the C:/$Mft is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the chkdsk utility. I read in the techspot archives and that I need to manually set the virtual memory. I have it set the minimum at 2MB and the max at 550MB. However, when it shows the actually allocation, it says 0. I can't get it to change.

I am on SP1, but I can't add SP2 because it says there is not enough space--even tho I have only used about 6g of my HD.

It promps me to run CHKDSK, but when I do, It says, "chkdsk cannot run because the process is in use by another...." I can set it to run chkdsk on next start-up.

If I try to shut of the computer using windows, it never loads. It gets stuck on the blue "Welcome" screen. If I manually turn off the power, it will run chkdsk and then windows starts---with the "C:/$Mft is corrupt" error. It still takes a few minutes to boot up.

I have been researching this alot, and it seems no one has found a fix--except here, and the archive fix does not work. The HD is only 2 years old and the computer seldom get's used. Any ideas?

*NOTE* the one thing I have not tried is reformatting it to FAT32. On one of the seaches I did on google, it said that was the only thing that worked with a dell.

I am having the same problem with my HP. DId you figure out how to resolve it? I haev tried basically everythogn you have tried. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back