Cable DSL Modem,USB or RJ45?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raiders

I have this "Terayon" Cable DSL modem with COX high speed,,
My question is that it offers a "RJ45" and "USB" setup whitch one one would supply the fastest interface?
on some downloads i get average speeds around 400Mbps/RJ45
BTW i have USB2.0

Thanks all

Everything I've read indicates Ethernet is best for overall performance and reliability.....

400Mbit/s? Are you sure you are not mixing up your ATM bridge with a DSL modem? :p

Coming back to earth and more reasonable speeds, the interface between your computer and the modem is probably in order of magnitudes faster than the connection from the modem to your ISP so you will see no speed gains between differerent types of local interfaces.

I'd recommend the RJ45 setup though. It is much more standard and no need to go messing around with drivers. You will also save a USB port and some CPU cycles by using the ethernet interface. Also, sharing the connection would be much easier via a router.

Using a NIC will give you faster speeds. I have a combo modem and on USB it is only 10mbps. But this will not affect your download speeds from the internet.
Also, using the NIC will allow your USB port to be free for other things.
No reason to use that USB if you have an NIC.

Using the RJ45 is the best. No muss.. no fuss... no drivers.

Network usually offers 100Mbps, although for modems, it is typically 10Mbps. USB 1 is 12mbps... Speed wise, you shouldn't notice a difference. There will be some (although very slight) CPU overhead from using USB, however.

Isnt usb bandwidth shared amongst all usb devices? seems you should always use the alternative all things being equal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back