TechSpot

Call of Duty 4 issue

By panjpainting
Jan 11, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I received call of duty 4 for xmas and am unable to play it. I have been reading numerous posts on how to be able to play it and have tried some things also.

I did install 3D analyze (to max out pixels, etc) and when I tried to play the game I received the error : Video card or driver doesn't support UBYTE4N vertex data

Here is the information on my video card: Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family

I also know I have a PCI slot for another video card.

If I do need to buy a new video card where do I go to get one at a reasonable price? If not what do I need to do to play the game?

Thank you for any and all help!!
  2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,435   +218

Your integrated graphics are not supported by the game and cannot run it. Whether a PCI card will help depends a bit on the other specifications of your PC. What are they?
  3. omegafate

omegafate TS Rookie Posts: 117

yea wat mailpup said lol
  4. k.jacko

k.jacko TS Rookie Posts: 743

yeah, what omegafate said about what mailpup said :D

Also, check the COD4 specs on line and see if your pc can handle a supported card from the COD4 list.
  5. panjpainting

panjpainting TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you so much but I think I got my answer. I just need a new card.

Thank you again for your help.
  6. k.jacko

Mate its obvious that you definitely need a new card, BUT you DO need to check that it will fit in your motherboard (seze-wise and specification-wise, ie. pci1? x1, x16? etc) and case for that matter, for example bigger/newer cards may not fit matx cases. It also has to meet the system requirements of COD4 otherwise it won't do what you want it to.

Good luck buddy! :)
  7. panjpainting

panjpainting TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have a normal PCI slot (not the PCI express) and the game calls for a geforce 6600 or better or a radeon 9800pro or better.

I have a dell dimension e310, windows XP version 2002 service pack 3, Pentium 4 CPU 3.06 GHz 504 MB Ram, conexant 56 K Modem

I just need to find a video card that is compatable without breaking the bank. I would like to stay under $75 but so far I am not having much luck in that aspect.

Thanks again!
  8. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,265   +41

You should know that the min specs will allow you around 30 fps even on min specs. I have an old machine i booted up when i saw this post to see what cod4 did to it,

Asus p5n32 sli premium
    2 gigs of ddr2
    bfg 7950 512 oc pci-E(now in a box to be shipped to a fellow TS member)

min fps in multiplayer was around 20-25 in a heavy area, during air strikes and such
    max fps in multiplayer was 40 fps or a little higher on minimum details

I imagine that a pci card even for what you're looking for will get about 30fps at most on lowest detail, even when nothing is going on.
  9. k.jacko

thats possible but the 7950 is a cracking card even by todays standards.
    With the e310 pc not even having an AGP slot, panjpainting is gonna have to suffer a pci card and possiblu overinflated prices due to them being quite rare now.
  10. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,265   +41

I fear either way, rather he pays a bundle for the best pci card available, or not he still wont be happy.
  11. PCIGamer

PCIGamer TS Rookie Posts: 113

This card is probably your best bet

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0298083

$40 (after MIB) is a decent price. It will provide framerates of 15-25fps at low settings. If this is adequate to you and you arent willing to upgrade your system, i would recommend this card as its the best PCI one available on the market today.

There is an 8500GT but you will pay $100 for that. I can't recommend that card due to the pricepoint alone For maybe %15-20 percent improvement its not really worth the money.

12. omegafate

personally bud id just upgrade your system other wise it just aint worth the hassle of playing newer games
  13. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,435   +218

omegafate has a point. If you upgrade the graphics to a card that will play the game satisfactorily, you will likely have to upgrade your power supply too. For example, the 8400 GS that PCIGamer recommended requires a 300W power supply. It says so on the page he linked to. According to Dell specifications, your Dell E310 comes with a 230W power supply. It might still work but it could be risky.
  14. omegafate

i wouldnt do it

u run the risk blowing your computer out

esspecialy if you are only running a 230 wat

and if it blows out your goin to have to upgrade your pc or buy a whole new one

or so to speak

so all in all just upgrade your pc or go buy a dell xps at wal mart or something that can easily be upgraded lol
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.