Call of Duty: Black Ops announced, set for November launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Call of Duty: World at War developer Treyarch has announced that the seventh entry in the long-running shooter series will be named Call of Duty: Black Ops and should hit stores on November 9, 2010. The announcement came ahead of the game's planned revelation on tonight's episode of GameTrailers TV. While no details on actual gameplay were given, there have been rumors of the game being set in different locations during the timeframe of the Vietnam conflict.

Indeed, a pre-order listing on U.K. retailer GAME seems to confirm this: "Now you will witness the birth of the Elite Special Forces and take part in off-the-record missions using unconventional weaponry to get the job done! From Cuba to the Arctic and the jungles of Vietnam, Call of Duty: Black Ops features stunning cinematic graphics and intense gameplay that puts you right at the heart of the action!"

So far only the official website for the game has been unveiled, with a blank page that reads "Coming Soon," a blog post to welcome users, and no other details yet available other than the title's release date.

Permalink to story.

BLACK OPS!

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

I liked the game BLACK from EA, but as much as I liked the gameplay I also liked the idea of being a BLACK operative.

I am really excited about this game. I am one of the people that thinks WaW had a lot more to offer then MW. I personally like them both, but unfortunately there is a lot of IW fanboys that won't even give this game a chance. It's what happened with WaW, most bashers said it was a terrible game because it was WW2. When in fact a lot of them never even played it, they just bashed it for not being a IW title.

Yeah, I agree with Guest about people bashing it for no real reason, but I don't think it was better than MW1. MW1 was a great, revolutionary COD game, and WaW just expanded on that system (very well at that). Black Ops might be better than MW2 if they do everything right that IW did wrong. Especially on the PC.

In my opinion World at War and Modern Warfare where (are) equally good. I can't say which one I prefer. I played Modern Warfare the most though because I was in a Modern Warfare clan which now has moved on to Bad Company 2. :)

Modern Warfare 2 is in my opinion the worst of the three games and was destroyed by the little no dedicated servers "thing" and it's noob friendlyness (is that a word?). Don't get my wrong though. I think Modern Warfare 2 is a good game. But you can't play it competetive and atleast I can't play it for more than a couple of days before I go to play another game and then try it again after a month or two.

Yeah I liked WaW, but I loved MW1 better. Like ColdFusion says, WaW just expanded on MW1, MW2 really hooked me up, besides the servers stuff...
The only thing I could never get over in WaW is that because of the timeline, weapons were just aweful (most of them). I was in the military and I know how a weapon sounds, these old guns honestly sound like BB guns to me and so they don't pump me up like the modern ones. I will probably still give BlackOps a shot though...

I hope is does have a Vietnam setting I love the jungle combat. I just wish they would make it where you could drive vehicles like Battlefield series.

I Vote for Vietnam!!!!!! Do not let me down Call of Duty.

Whoever wrote this article needs to recount, this is not the 7th installment in the series...

Call of Duty
Call of Duty: United Offensive
Call of Duty: Finest Hour
Call of Duty: Big Red One
Call of Duty 2
Call of Duty 3
Call of Duty 4 : Modern Warfare
Call of Duty: World at War
Call of Duty : Modern Warfare 2

So this would be the 10th installment if you're counting by no means the 7th.

@ Guest - some people don't count expansion packs as full games

I was excited about it being just in Vietnam, but it sounds like they're making it a Cold War game rather than just a Vietnam game. That's actually very cool because we'll get to enjoy different settings. This opens the game up to Central/South American and African settings, as well as a possibility of missions in Europe.

And the time period gives you a great mix of high and low tech. The VC may not be able to call in a Arclight raid, but they could set booby traps. This will be cool, hopefully the learned from the mistakes that MW2 made, and make it more like COD4 with a new setting.

About the counting

I think it's because they were only counting the titles that were released for the PC, which don't include Finest Hour, Big Red One, or Call of Duty 3. Which is kind of reasonable, considering that up until MW, most of the console ports were mostly insignificant off shoots trying to give the console players a piece of the action. Not to mention neither of those 3 I mentioned were developed by Infinity Ward.

I think we're also forgetting that the developers for this game are known for only making the game for consoles.

Which means I'm not going to buy it neither will it be any good.

I wish infinity ward haden't split up. In my opinion, they're the only ones that can make a good CoD game.

And before anyone has a go, yes I have played every single one including expansions, he'll I still own them all except waw as I borrowed it and thought it was rubbish, mainly because it was on xbox and not pc.

I'm actually more "excited" for a CoD game from Treyarch than a CoD game from Infinity Ward. WaW wasn't amazing, but I had much more fun playing it than MW or MW2. The multiplayer was better and it had freakin' Nazi zombies! Man, Nazi zombies was fun!

The trailer over at IGN has really sparked my interest in this game. I think WaW was excellent and should not be compared to MW since they are both great for very different reasons.

all of my friends think that modern warfare 2 is better, but all the posts and replies i have read prove them wrong, that more people like WaW better then modern warfare 2...

burty117 said:
I think we're also forgetting that the developers for this game are known for only making the game for consoles.

Which means I'm not going to buy it neither will it be any good.

I wish infinity ward haden't split up. In my opinion, they're the only ones that can make a good CoD game.

And before anyone has a go, yes I have played every single one including expansions, he'll I still own them all except waw as I borrowed it and thought it was rubbish, mainly because it was on xbox and not pc.

I am actually thrilled that IW split up. I was really hoping that the developers at IW hadn't become complete sellouts and were being 'forced' by Activision to put out the garbage they did with MW2. Now that the whole studio has basically left and formed Respawn, I am excited to see what kind of game Respawn creates. We all know how capable the developers are when they don't have restrictions put on what the game can be.

hey, i liked call of duty WAW but treyarch makes a war game and buts it back in like world war 2 and stuff like that and that's kinda annyoing. then activision and infinity ward finally made mw 1 and 2

default settings on the mw2 game do make it "noob friendly", but thats if your a pub star wanabe. if you want to play the game legit and not get noobed, go scrimage and find clan matches, quit wasting your time playing pubs and wondering why u get owned by random noob tubes and rpgs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back