Call of Duty: Vanguard players grow irritable as news of weapon bloom mechanic spreads

Jimmy2x

Staff
Through the looking glass: If there's one thing that can be counted on, it's that the CoD community will be vocal any time they disagree with an element of the franchise. Vanguard has been relatively well received since release, with players giving credit to its multiplayer functions but giving less than stellar reviews for the game's solo campaign. However, a recent finding may have the potential to once again light a fire across the game's population.

CoD statistics provider TrueGameData recently published several tweets revealing a previously unknown gameplay mechanic referred to as weapon bloom. The mechanic causes a player's bullet to travel in any of a number of random directions within a defined area while aiming down the sights. This behavior is a departure from previous CoD titles, where shots would typically land according to a weapon's ADS reticle placement.

According TrueGameData's findings, the effect is more pronounced with certain weapon types and can be reduced or negated by using more accurate weapons, specific attachments, etc.

Typically more realistic shooters, such as Battlefield, are known to use the bloom effect to mimic the intricacies of accurately firing a weapon. The effect has also been a hot topic in the Fortnite community for several years, where the degree of severity is affected by everything from weapon selection to player position and movement when firing.

Support for the mechanic is mixed across the player base. Some see it as an unfair variable that makes shots more random and less skill-based. Others see it as a positive addition that adds an element of realism and requires players to more precisely place their shots.

One potential reason for the addition is Vanguard's increased weapon attachment slots. With the ability to use up to 10 weapon attachments, some of which can reduce the bloom effect, attachment choice will play a much larger role in determining weapon efficacy.

Regardless of where CoD players stand on the topic, one thing is for certain. If weapon bloom is an intentional Vanguard mechanic and not a bug, the topic won't be going away any time soon.

Permalink to story.

There's certain mechanics that even if realistic, are just not *fun* to experience in a game and this is one: You either respect player's accuracy or go full old school RPG so think Morrowind: you couldn't land a hit since it was dependent on a dice roll according to your character stats and skills.

Now I'd be all for an RPG shooter with mechanics like that: simulate weapon accuracy by giving you a stat roll. In fact CoD has had RPG *elements* for over a decade now but this is a step that's far removed: nobody really likes a fast paced, action game that mimics mechanics more suited to a slow or even turn based RPG game.

There's certain mechanics that even if realistic, are just not *fun* to experience in a game and this is one: You either respect player's accuracy or go full old school RPG so think Morrowind: you couldn't land a hit since it was dependent on a dice roll according to your character stats and skills.

Now I'd be all for an RPG shooter with mechanics like that: simulate weapon accuracy by giving you a stat roll. In fact CoD has had RPG *elements* for over a decade now but this is a step that's far removed: nobody really likes a fast paced, action game that mimics mechanics more suited to a slow or even turn based RPG game.

Lol Xcom RNG %5 miss was the most frustrating thing ever at zero range with a shotgun.

I don't play shooters much anymore because my hands are screwed up but it seems to me if you can't pick up a weapon and have it shoot the exact same way every time then it doesn't seem very realistic to me. When you handle a real weapon obviously there are variables like wind and weather but practice lets you be able to make consistent shots. Is introducing a random variable in there their way of trying to make things more fair for people that can't shoot straight?

I don't play shooters much anymore because my hands are screwed up but it seems to me if you can't pick up a weapon and have it shoot the exact same way every time then it doesn't seem very realistic to me. When you handle a real weapon obviously there are variables like wind and weather but practice lets you be able to make consistent shots. Is introducing a random variable in there their way of trying to make things more fair for people that can't shoot straight?
Talking about a game here mate.
Just to be sure.

Every CoD since the last MW was half assed.

Yep, haven't bought one since. Cold War was made for kids the way they half assed just about everything in it.
And kids will continue to get their parents to buy the games, so that's why they keep producing this crap.

Looks like I'll be turning to BF once everyone stops playing MW. Or just go get some good old day mems from the GTA Trio

Battlefield 1 has that.
It was called random bullet deviation and it killed the game for me.
Yeah I didn't like the way the article threw all battlefield titles in there. It was literally just BF1 and I hated it as well. Much more noticeable when hip firing though. I recently tried Back4Blood and it has some hard-core deviation.
The other battlefield titles use barrel accurate bullets.

Destiny has bloom and while it's not exactly loved it's certainly understood how to still he very accurate while dealing with it. You just have to learn the proper firing modes and cadence for each archetype and you'll still be very accurate and lethal.

Full auto is the only place where it becomes a real problem and that's only if you're the type to just pay ok the trigger constantly instead of using the gun in small bursts.

I don't want myself nor my enemies to just have lasers as weapons and a little finesse should be required to be the best. Not just "clicking heads".

I believe it's actually the opposite with games where the game literally just outs a bullet exactly where your reticle is with every bullet in a row using something like a full auto assault rifle is much less realistic not to mention much easier for a less skilled player.

The ability to manage a weapon who's accuracy is dictated by your ability to control the weapons movement and learn how to fire it with a proper cadence to keep things like bloom under control.

Bloom is called so because the area in which bullets can land is growing with sustained fire in a way that resembles a flower "blooming".

If you're skilled with the weapon you know how this effects it and how to manage it to keep it's impact to a minimum.

I've been playing Destiny for 7+ years and we've had it the whole time and yet plenty of players are still absolutely lethal in a split second they will have no problem taking you out bloom and all.

In most games, including this one, a player is only responsible for controlling aim, (mostly vertical) recoil and accounting for bullet drop.
But this mechanic is literal spray and pray.

I'm just more interested of they removed auto headshot (zoom & boom) on sniper rifles.
I play mostly games like red orchestra and there is no bloom effect. But barrel is always mowing giving the realistic feeling of handling a heavy weapon and slightly reducing the accuracy.

I play Warzone and have been doing it on/off since beta.

BF2042 will take over for me soon, atleast for some time. They usually break Warzone anyway when a new COD comes out.. Weapon balance is ruined and tons of bugs because Warzone integration is rushed. Cold War did this last time.

A new map is great for Warzone, they should have done that long ago (Talking about the primary map, not Rebirth Island which I always thought sucked - Campers paradise).

They ruined Verdansk over time too. It was much better before all the changes, most areas only became worse and they removed alot of nice stuff like Metro etc. Color palette turned to the worse. More depressing setting.

Players are fleeing from Warzone and have been doing it for a long time. Tons of cheaters too (obvious aimbotting is fairly common). It still have alot of players tho, I think many will go BF2042. They need to reinvent Warzone to keep people interrested and stop releasing rushed patches that breaks the game and balance all the time.

Last edited:
It isn't supposed to be realistic. It's supposed to be fun to play :)

COD shot themselves in the foot. They intentionally design each title with unbalanced mechanics like stun grenades in order for 0.3kd console trash to feel good at the game. Adding a relatively hardcore realism to a casual shooter a Fortnite kid could pick up? Big mistake.

F "realism", give me a game that rewards my aim instead of some random garbage. For me "realism" sucks ALL the fun out of a game. If I wanted realism I'd go to my gun safe and take out a toy. I want a game to be FUN without the computer determining where my shots go.

Yep, haven't bought one since. Cold War was made for kids the way they half assed just about everything in it.
And kids will continue to get their parents to buy the games, so that's why they keep producing this crap.

Looks like I'll be turning to BF once everyone stops playing MW. Or just go get some good old day mems from the GTA Trio
You do know cold war was rushed cause Raven n Sledgehammer couldnt get along. So Treyarch had to push their game out a year earlier. Not their fault when their told to release. Cold Wars problems were because Activision rushed it not cause of Treyarch.

I play Warzone and have been doing it on/off since beta.

BF2042 will take over for me soon, atleast for some time. They usually break Warzone anyway when a new COD comes out.. Weapon balance is ruined and tons of bugs because Warzone integration is rushed. Cold War did this last time.

A new map is great for Warzone, they should have done that long ago (Talking about the primary map, not Rebirth Island which I always thought sucked - Campers paradise).

They ruined Verdansk over time too. It was much better before all the changes, most areas only became worse and they removed alot of nice stuff like Metro etc. Color palette turned to the worse. More depressing setting.

Players are fleeing from Warzone and have been doing it for a long time. Tons of cheaters too (obvious aimbotting is fairly common). It still have alot of players tho, I think many will go BF2042. They need to reinvent Warzone to keep people interrested and stop releasing rushed patches that breaks the game and balance all the time.
What beta? It never had one. It was just released. Most didnt even know about it. Got hyped by streamers.

The updates or balancing has been horrible imo. Some good things but a lot of broke things happen. Way too many.
Yes there is a cheating problem but hopefully on dec. 2nd the new anti cheat will clean things up. We will see.

COD shot themselves in the foot. They intentionally design each title with unbalanced mechanics like stun grenades in order for 0.3kd console trash to feel good at the game. Adding a relatively hardcore realism to a casual shooter a Fortnite kid could pick up? Big mistake.
Console players arent the issue. Any controller player can counter stuns. It has never been fixed. Likely wont either.

Back