Can a PSU wipe a HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drink_jones

I was just wondering if it were possible to wipe a HDD with a PSU. I wouldn't want to try it, but what if one were to put a HDD on top of the case just above the PSU. Would the PSU erase all data on the HDD?

I don't suggest you try it... just in case.

Hi
No, the drive will be unaffected by proximity to the psu. What will get rid of data is an app to write zeros to the drive.

Hi
Think about the magnets inside the drive that's used to force the spindle to rotate when current passes thru the motor windings. These are fairly powerfull magnets but don't cause data problems and they're right inside the drive. As well, the arm that supports the read/write head is also run by a powerfull magnet too. No probs there either.
Like you wanted to know.

drink_jones said:
I was just wondering if it were possible to wipe a HDD with a PSU. I wouldn't want to try it, but what if one were to put a HDD on top of the case just above the PSU. Would the PSU erase all data on the HDD?

I don't suggest you try it... just in case.

short answer NO! you need a very powerful magnet to do this and you generally ruin the disk you dont just wipe it

fourthletter said:
short answer NO! you need a very powerful magnet to do this and you generally ruin the disk you dont just wipe it
You'd pretty much need a uberelectromagnet to do it, hds are shielded. Try and stick a piece of steel to your hd, then take a broken hd and pull the magnets out, now try to pull the magnets off the steel. You will then see that HDs are shielded from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back