Can an upgrade driver solve the problem of my old DVD-ROM drive?

By franklogus
Feb 9, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all !

In my back up PC, I have an old DVD-ROM Drive (LG DRD 8160B), that I bought in late 2001... I have used it very few until now, because I have a newer PC, with better spec.

Anyways, I tried to use some "new midia" (not so much new, really...) in my old DVD Drive (it only read DVD data, not write). I used DVD+R (8X) and DVD+RW, and it could not to read anything. Using windows explorer, I could not to see any properties of the midia, as if there was nothing inside the drive. It was strange for me, because I got used to put my DVDs of games inside it, and they always have run OK (and they keeps working well).

I made a research over the net, and I found some references about an upgrade of the driver of these kind of device... So, my question is:

1) Is really necessary to upgrade the driver(s) of the DVD-ROM drive?

2) If I will do it, could I to have success about it to be able to "read" these "new midia"? ( I am guessing that it is very old to read some kinds of DVDs... Is it possible, or am I saying folishness?).

3) I have tried, last days, to find the newest drive for this specific device that i have (LG DRD-8160B), inside the LG site, but I had no success (it seems that LG site is having some trouble)... I know that there are some drivers over the internet, in another sites, but I am not sure if they are reliable... Should I try to download them?

Well, that's it... I would like some advice(s) about this matter, because I am far from to be one expert....

Thanks in advance for any additional help / information !
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,287   +224

It won't read burned disks simply because lots of older dvd drives (even my panasonic 12x dvd) won't read them (burned).
    I have not heard of "drivers" fixing anything like this, espically in windows. Its a hardware issue not a software/os issue, I think a piece of software is going to have no effect.

What has a slim possibility of working is a firmware upgrade.
  3. franklogus

franklogus Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 64

Thanks for your opinion, SNGX1275!

But I will keep looking for a "software" solution (may be it will be possible)....

Thanks in advance for any additional help / information.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.