Can anyone help me please networking problems

By mr surfboard
Aug 21, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kasper sky did somthing to my settings i have no idea what it is. When i installed it opened the local area lan network. And now my connection is terribly bogged down all the time. Can anyone help me. heres a few pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,711

Your PC is not getting an IP address from your router. Check all connections and make sure the IP settings are set to automatic. Also note that you do not need a firewall running on the router and on the PC; one will do and preference is for the router firewall to stay on.
  3. mr surfboard

mr surfboard Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 16

i do not have a router
  4. AlbertLionheart

OK - this should make it easier.
    Go to Control Panel > Security Center > Manage settngs for Firewall - turn it off if it is on. Set the alerts to stop windows telling you the firewall is off, Close the boxes.
    Set the Kaspersky firewall to off.
    Reboot and check for a connection.
    If no connection, call your ISP for advice on how to reset their modem.
  5. mr surfboard

i already uninstalled kaspersky it changed somthing on my lan but i have no idea what it changed im getting a connection the problem is that the connection is laggy and it messes up all the time. And when i play games it totally lags out
  6. AlbertLionheart

If you have a lan and no router, how do you connect to the internet? Do you have more than 1 PC connecting to the net?
  7. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,275   +280

he's got an ADSL modem and he does need the firewall.

I've said this before; establishing a connection is not related to the firewall
    which controls the traffic ON the connection.

If you're overly concerned that the firwall is blocking the connection, then ADD
    at the top of the rules
    ALLOW in/out tcp/udp any-src-address ports 53,67​
    (port 53 is DNS lookups and 67 is DHCP which normally defaults to open anyway)
  8. AlbertLionheart

I was trying to establish the setup that kaspersky has messed with.
    Have we found out if kaspersky changed the NIC settings?
  9. jobeard

who did what to whom is interesting but difficult to determine and at best only
    leads to "can't do that again!"

so let's proceed to get it running :)
  10. mr surfboard

i have verizon dsl i have a westell wirespeed modem like i said everything is running i connect to the internet fine. The problem is the lag spikes the jumping ping. If i play games it doesn't connect correctly. This only happened after i installed kasper and it was right after. Kaspersky is def the culprit. I just have no idea exactly what it changed and how do i add the dns things? Might one of you have one of the many messangers i could talk to you on
  11. jobeard

XP SP2 has a default firewall, so if you don't trust Kaspersky, uninstall it
    and enable the Windows default:
    cp->services->Windows FW & ICS->Automatic

you're not alone -- it is common to see games cause problems due to the
    high traffic volume.

btw: ping to your ISP is the only thing you can rely upon,
    as a full route ping to the game host will lag due to all the hosts inbetween and
    all of the active users.

try this: run->cmd /k pathping $yourgame-host.domain-name

you'll see that packets are dropping at or near the game host location.

12. mr surfboard

What im trying to say is this never happened before i installed kaspersky never. I had my friend bring his computer over use my connection, same game and everything and nothin happened perfect. So its definitely somthing that happened with the installation of kaspersky. So if you guys have any ideas please help. And kaspersky is fully uninstalled.
  13. AlbertLionheart

Kaspersky support is supposed to be better than most - have you asked them?
  14. mr surfboard

sure did they don't know either kaspersky ruined my system and no one has any idea why its ridiculous
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.