TechSpot

Can anyone show me how to disable onboard sound card

By xutech
Sep 6, 2008
  1. Hello all
    I'm Suzy, I dont know much bout PC, soft or hardware. Recently I just bought Creative Xtreem Audio. However, I discovered that the old sound card is intergrated w the ATI motherboard. When I check on Device Manager the current audio card is ((realtek ac97 audio driver)) . Does anyone know how to disable this audio card in order to install the X-Fi card

Thanks a lot

2. heythere!

heythere! TS Rookie Posts: 18

Can you pull it out? Or it's onboard? If so, go in BIOS and disable it, or there may be a jumper on the board to do so.

3. RiSki

RiSki TS Rookie

Evening Suzy...I'm new here so take what I say with a grain of salt.

It would really help anyone help you if you could provide a little more info, especially on the motherboard you have. Check out this post by searching for how to include your System specs and using Everest or SIW:

A message for all newcomers

This way we can search your mobo maker and find the route to disable the onboard sound in your Bios, etc.

RiSki

PS: Sorry I couldn't include the link, but I'm new and short on posts :(

4. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,650

Also, it would be good if u went in u're profile and put it there, once in place, there is a link to set it where it will appear when u post. this way it will be there for anyone to see.

5. xutech

xutech TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks all

Finally, I got the new sound card worked,

First, I disabled the onboard sound card in BIOS. However when I put the Installation CD to run. It freezes at 10%. Don't know why?

Then I installed the software through " Found New Hardware" when i first start my computer. Now I got Xtreem Audio sound card on Device Manager. Since I can't install software from the CD, I'll try to download the software from Creative Website.

Thanks for all of yr advise :wave:
    Suzy

6. heythere!

heythere! TS Rookie Posts: 18

So my post actually helped you!?:)

7. RiSki

RiSki TS Rookie

Congrats Suzy...Happy trails to you :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.