TechSpot

Can files be recovered after a full format

By terry5880
May 30, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hi all just wondering after a full format can files be recovered. any help much appreciated

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,474   +329

Almost NEVER :sigh:

"no matter how many times I measure that piece of lumber,
    every time I cut it it is STILL too short".

cliffordcooley likes this.
  3. terry5880

terry5880 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 527

Thanks joe I didnt think there was I got a program called lazesoft recovery I used that to test getting files back and it found files I deleted years ago lol but I wanted to make sure it couldnt be done after a full format..thanks again

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,657   +323

If you have very critical data on the drive (work computer, trade secrets, tax information, client lists) then you probably don't want to trust a full format for making data unrecoverable.

If you full formatted and then realized you didn't have some things backed up, you might be able to recover some of it or all. You can probably pay thousands of dollars to some company that will get it back.

There are secure wipe programs for a reason... and different security levels at that...

5. terry5880

terry5880 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 527

Ok thanks all for your help

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.