Can I recover my data?

OTreasaigh

Okay, A few months ago I had a major shut down on my previous Laptop, it turned to mush, it slowly got worse and worse and the monitor went, blue screened about 5 times an hour and was just overused, in fairness I got it second hand and it was already 3 years old, but they had it fixed up before giving it to me, new pieces inside the computer, extra ram and settings, etc etc.

Anyway I've given up on getting it fixed at this point in time.

I do have a couple things on there, saved to the Desktop and other Folders such as Pictures n Such and other things I needed for work, I managed to remake most of it, and then silly me only had them on a USB I'd been using about a month and it stopped working, plug it into the computer and Nada, the Charger Port is even gone and I can't get it turned on for a minute, if I move the laptop even an inch the screen shows sections of rectangles all along it in funky colors until it just comes up black, dark black as if the computer's off.

So here's my question finally, is there a way for me to get my files from that computer and hook it up to my new one as like a storage device so I can get my stuff off of it? and hopefully not any viruses <.<"

Oh and as a side question, Is there any way to get my files off my USB that just stopped working, as I lost about 70% of my work[Again], I don't need it urgently or anything, it would just be nice to have it all back.

If a USB stick stops working, it's pretty much bye-bye. There are of course some things you can do, but I'm not going to bother explaining them as I don't believe it will help you.

As for your laptop hard drive: the question is, is it SATA? This is the power/data connectors on the harddrive.

It could be as simple as pulling out the HDD, and plugging it into another desktop computer. Or, into a USB HDD dock.

What I do when working with a defunked laptop is pull the hard drive out (usually not difficult) and then plug it into a USB external HDD enclosure. As for type of hard drive, 99% of laptop drives are SATA, just because of smaller size and easier connections. It is rare to find an IDE laptop drive.

Dismount the HD from the laptop (typically one screw).

the get an adaptor like this

connect the HD to the adaptor and plug that into a USB 2.0 port on another system.

The old HD will show up (assuming the partition table is not corrupted) and you will be able to drag-n-drop to your hearts content.

Back