Can I set it to connect through proxy

Vollezar

We are using Cisco DPC3825 DOCSIS 3.0 Gateway as our cable modem. I am trying to figure out if there is a way to set it so it connects through proxy. I don't see settings for it in the admin panel. Not sure if it can be done, just would like to avoid setting up a proxy server at home.

Let's make sure we're on the same page - -

A normal ISP connection would be like
Code:
ISP === coax cable ==== Cisco Device ---- up to 4 PCs
The internet connection has already been made to the ISP when the Cisco device is powered on.
The MODEM functions on the coax side are not accessible or configurable.
From the LAN connections, you have the TCP side which is configurable.

Now it you are trying to use a proxy for A single PC, that's not to difficult. If you want something like
Code:
Cisco --- Porxy --- all Pc connections
then there's lots to work on.

Thanks. I thought that's how it works. Was just hoping I wouldn't have to build a proxy server. I have to put my pc and my roommate's WDTV live through a proxy so we can access U.S. version of Netflix. It's easy enough to set my PC for proxy, but WDTV does not have those settings so I will have to build a proxy server at home. Oh well.

Consider this style

Code:
Cisco ---- Pc#1 ---- WDTV live
  |
+ ---- (3) other pcs
PC#1 needs 2nd NIC and there's proxy software to control that connection

I am building one right now. I got an old proliant ml110 G3 board that should still be working. No case for it though so I'll have to use some plywood :). Gonna have to see if I can dig up another NIC somewhere or maybe just use the wireless card I got. Can't run hard wire to WDTV without some wall drilling.

I used an EoP adaptor; Ethernet Over A/C Power.

Master connects directly to router and plug into a naked wall A/C (ie no surge protector).

Slave plugs into another naked A/C and ethernet to the TV.

My WDTV live loves it :)

Back