Can I track my external IP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thewoosterisroot

I was just wondering; is it possible to track the history of my external ip address? Could I actually find everywhere my IP has been? Just out of curiosity. Thanks.

When you say you want to know "everywhere you IP has been" i assume you mean you want to know every IP address that has been assigned to you.

I don't believe it's possible to get a history going back in time.. but here's one way to keep a history going forward
  1. Register for a free dynamic dns account
  2. Choose a dns hostname for your computer
  3. Download and run the Dynamic DNS tool on your computer. It periodically checks to see if your IP address has changed. If yes,
    • it publishes the new IP address for your hostname to DNS servers.
    • It keeps a logfile including the date/time and value of IP address changes

A free, simple firewall program will keep a log of places that your IP goes. Not only will it track outgoing traffic, it will track incoming. People partially misconstrue the purpose of a firewall. Not only does it stop unsolicited incoming traffic, but also outgoing to help prevent malware from accessing external servers to unleash the payload.

with the ISP using DHCP, your IP address can change from time to time.

Usually, we're interested in what we connected to, not our Public/Lan addresses.

Yeah, I realize my ip does change. Good advice. So no easy way to track a specific ip's net travels?

What exactly do you mean by the "net travels"? Find out who else has had your external IP address? Find out where you (or someone else) has connected to using this IP address? Record all the public IP addresses you have ever had?

It's likely you mean something very different than what you are saying.

Your IP doesn't 'travel' or go anywhere -- your Email travels and in a sense,
you travel when you visit websites with your browser.

Please describe what you mean by 'ip traveling'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back