Can I upgrade the CPU in a MacBook Pro myself, after I get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envergure

The upgrade from a 2.2GHz MacBook Pro to the 2.4GHz model is a $600 proposition, but I can get this 3.0GHz CPU for <$250. If I were to purchase the 2.2GHz Mac, could I upgrade the CPU myself?

I don't know a whole lot about this stuff. My primary concerns are temperature and power consumption, since this isn't a "mobile" model, and that I don't know if the sockets would match.

Does anyone know the model number of the processor in the 2.2GHz MacBook Pro? Their website doesn't say.

Also, I think I read somewhere that the MacBook Pro case is glued together, not screwed, which I imagine would make it difficult to get into.

As far as the processor... I don't know. As far as getting into it, well its not as easy as a tower obviously, but its not impossible. Very good instructions here:
http://www.ifixit.com/Categories/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch/85

Edit: Upon looking a bit more into this, the processor is soldered onto the board, so no, I don't think you can do it.

From Wikipedia "The MacBook Pro's processor is soldered onto the logic board and is impossible to replace, the same as all recent Mac portables.[11]"
11, funnily enough links to the site I linked to above: 11^ MacBook Pro Fixit Guide. iFixit.
Wiki's link to that guide is a dead url though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back