2x120Gb Serial ATA HDD
    Asus Extreme GeForce N6600 PCI Express
    Creative SB Audigy LS
    Plextor DVDR-PX708A
    Plextor DVD-ROM PX-116A2
    Iiyama 17" CRT monitor
    Microsoft Force Feedback Joystick
    Windows XP Pro

I would like to upgrade to the new Intel dual-core processor CPU. Can I just unplug my P4 CPU and replace it with a new dual-core? Is it so simple? Will I loose anything? Do I have to reformat? What about bios?

Stelios

2. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 3,481   +44

You have to get a new motherboard, your socket needs to be lga 775, I believe you have 478 socket. So "no" you can't just put in a new chip.

3. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,967   +9

I think you already have socket 775, because there are almost no socket 478 mobos with PCI-E support.

What is your motherboard's model and make? Do you want a Core 2 Duo processor or a Pentium D?

4. CMH

CMH TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,039   +9

You'd still want a new motherboard, I don't think there are many RAM out there that runs at "400mhz". Unless you're talking 2x400mhz, it'll be DDR1.

5. stelch

stelch TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 57

Hi
    These are the specs of my motherboard:

Processor Supports Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor Extreme Edition (LGA775 socket with 800 MHz system bus)
    Supports Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor supporting Hyper-Threading Technology† (LGA775 socket with 533/800 MHz system bus)
    Supports Intel® Celeron® D Processor (LGA775 socket with 533 MHz system bus)

http://www3.shopping.com/xPF-Intel-D915GAV

"Do you want a Core 2 Duo processor or a Pentium D?" Which one is better?

Stelios

6. CMH

The core2duo is definately better.

But your motherboard does not support it. You will need to upgrade your motherboard to use a core2duo.

Also, your RAM is DDR1. It would be pretty hard to find a motherboard for Core2Duo that uses DDR1, so you will have to upgrade your memory to DDR2.

If I were you, I might just upgrade to one of the processors mentioned above, one of the Pentium4s. Either that, or you'll have to buy yourself what is basically a whole new computer.

7. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

In short, NO. Your system is too old. While the new CPUs might FIT, they won't work and you'll ruin both the MOBO and the new CPU.

8. wolfram

Yeah, you need a new motherboard :(

9. stelch

stelch TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 57

Thanks guys. I'll wait for next year to get a new PC with Vista. Hopefully Vista will be more established by then.

10. wolfram

And more bug-free ;)

11. CMH

yeah, then come back here and post a budget, and we'll help you out again :D

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.