2x120Gb Serial ATA HDD
Asus Extreme GeForce N6600 PCI Express
Creative SB Audigy LS
Plextor DVDR-PX708A
Plextor DVD-ROM PX-116A2
Iiyama 17" CRT monitor
Microsoft Force Feedback Joystick
Windows XP Pro

I would like to upgrade to the new Intel dual-core processor CPU. Can I just unplug my P4 CPU and replace it with a new dual-core? Is it so simple? Will I loose anything? Do I have to reformat? What about bios?

Stelios

You have to get a new motherboard, your socket needs to be lga 775, I believe you have 478 socket. So "no" you can't just put in a new chip.

I think you already have socket 775, because there are almost no socket 478 mobos with PCI-E support.

What is your motherboard's model and make? Do you want a Core 2 Duo processor or a Pentium D?

You'd still want a new motherboard, I don't think there are many RAM out there that runs at "400mhz". Unless you're talking 2x400mhz, it'll be DDR1.

Hi
These are the specs of my motherboard:

Processor Supports Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor Extreme Edition (LGA775 socket with 800 MHz system bus)
Supports Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor supporting Hyper-Threading Technology† (LGA775 socket with 533/800 MHz system bus)
Supports Intel® Celeron® D Processor (LGA775 socket with 533 MHz system bus)

http://www3.shopping.com/xPF-Intel-D915GAV

"Do you want a Core 2 Duo processor or a Pentium D?" Which one is better?

Stelios

The core2duo is definately better.

But your motherboard does not support it. You will need to upgrade your motherboard to use a core2duo.

Also, your RAM is DDR1. It would be pretty hard to find a motherboard for Core2Duo that uses DDR1, so you will have to upgrade your memory to DDR2.

If I were you, I might just upgrade to one of the processors mentioned above, one of the Pentium4s. Either that, or you'll have to buy yourself what is basically a whole new computer.

In short, NO. Your system is too old. While the new CPUs might FIT, they won't work and you'll ruin both the MOBO and the new CPU.

Thanks guys. I'll wait for next year to get a new PC with Vista. Hopefully Vista will be more established by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back