Can I use an encrypted disk on a different PC?

By georgetok
Jun 28, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi,

I want to ship my HDD overseas to a friend. It has some sensitive data & I want to Protect that data using one of the 2 products called “Disk Password Protection” OR “Cryptic Disk” from Exlade.

http://www.exlade.com/home

With Disk Partition Protection, I am able to Protect it by using a Password for booting it & another password for opening each Partition.

My question is, would my friend be able to unlock that hard drive on an entirely different PC with different configuration ?

Wouldn’t it create a problem even to detect it because the bios is different ?

The other product Cryptic Disk protects the HDD by encrypting the data on each partition. If I used that software would my friend be able to Unlock it on a different PC ?

OR

Does anyone have a better idea & better software for what I want to do ?

Thank You.
  2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,067   +13

as long as it is not a boot drive, yes you can use it. Of course the recipient has to have the key or program to unlock it.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.