TechSpot

Can I use my phone to make my Internet even faster?

By treetops
May 2, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I am using wireless net from a router that is far from my computer and my phone has 3g hotspot capabilities so I thought hey maybe I can use both at once.

2. bushwhacker

bushwhacker TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,086

???

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,446   +324

NO. Many fall into this assumption and that just doesn't work.
    100% of the traffic will go to one or the other, but never both.
    The reason has to do with TCP routing tables and the fact that once a connection is made,
    the entire 'conversation' between the end-points stays one that singular connection.

In addition, the cellphone connection would go on your data plan and that could cost you big bucks $$$$$$$$ per month.

4. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

Agreed, I wouldn't recommend ever using your 3g hotspot for general use as most have small caps, even if it is faster then your WiFI connection.

5. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

US carriers and phone/cable companies love their caps don't they?!? :haha:

My broadband is truly unlimited and uncapped - not even subject to fair usage, its literally abuse it as much as you like syndrome. :D

My mobile broadband carrier (T-mobile) and incidently my mobile phone itself with the same carrier allow for 5GB per month, but with a promise to never charge you no matter how much you use - so pretty much unlimited as well, as I've not been billed yet. :haha:

Thats how the internet should be!

6. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TS Booster Posts: 902   +39

Do a search for "Get wired performance from your Wi-Fi network" at windowssecrets dot com. Sorry, I can't post links yet.

7. matrix86

matrix86 TS Maniac Posts: 803   +9

Agreed. I too have T-Mobile with unlimited data. I listen to Pandora for a couple of hours a day (trips to and from work/grocery store, sitting in the back yard) and spend a fair amount of time on youtube...never had any extra charges. LOVE IT! As much as I don't like the AT&T and T-Mobile merge we all know is going to happen, I can't help but want to stay with T-Mobile unless Sprint or Verizon can offer the same.

8. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 1,686   +60

I'm with verizon and I have unlimited internet. Could I say download movies with my home internet and play video games through my phones net so theres no lag?

9. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,370   +125

Yeah I guess, but if you weren't planning on using two different devices to do that, then I would consider it.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.