Can I use my phone to make my Internet even faster?

treetops

I am using wireless net from a router that is far from my computer and my phone has 3g hotspot capabilities so I thought hey maybe I can use both at once.

two at the same time?
NO. Many fall into this assumption and that just doesn't work.
100% of the traffic will go to one or the other, but never both.
The reason has to do with TCP routing tables and the fact that once a connection is made,
the entire 'conversation' between the end-points stays one that singular connection.

In addition, the cellphone connection would go on your data plan and that could cost you big bucks $$$$$$$$ per month.

In addition, the cellphone connection would go on your data plan and that could cost you big bucks $$$$$$$$ per month.

Agreed, I wouldn't recommend ever using your 3g hotspot for general use as most have small caps, even if it is faster then your WiFI connection.

US carriers and phone/cable companies love their caps don't they?!? :haha:

My broadband is truly unlimited and uncapped - not even subject to fair usage, its literally abuse it as much as you like syndrome. :D

My mobile broadband carrier (T-mobile) and incidently my mobile phone itself with the same carrier allow for 5GB per month, but with a promise to never charge you no matter how much you use - so pretty much unlimited as well, as I've not been billed yet. :haha:

Thats how the internet should be!

Do a search for "Get wired performance from your Wi-Fi network" at windowssecrets dot com. Sorry, I can't post links yet.

US carriers and phone/cable companies love their caps don't they?!? :haha:

My broadband is truly unlimited and uncapped - not even subject to fair usage, its literally abuse it as much as you like syndrome. :D

My mobile broadband carrier (T-mobile) and incidently my mobile phone itself with the same carrier allow for 5GB per month, but with a promise to never charge you no matter how much you use - so pretty much unlimited as well, as I've not been billed yet. :haha:

Thats how the internet should be!

Agreed. I too have T-Mobile with unlimited data. I listen to Pandora for a couple of hours a day (trips to and from work/grocery store, sitting in the back yard) and spend a fair amount of time on youtube...never had any extra charges. LOVE IT! As much as I don't like the AT&T and T-Mobile merge we all know is going to happen, I can't help but want to stay with T-Mobile unless Sprint or Verizon can offer the same.

I'm with verizon and I have unlimited internet. Could I say download movies with my home internet and play video games through my phones net so theres no lag?

Yeah I guess, but if you weren't planning on using two different devices to do that, then I would consider it.

Back