TechSpot

Can only boot up computer in safe mode running win98 second edition

By Oxford
Oct 4, 2003
  1. My Computer was alright until I installed expressit cd labeller. Now I can only start my computer up in safe mode. I have started my computer up in safe mode and uninstalled expressit from my computer. I was hoping now that it would restart properly. It still only goes past the windows 98 screen and then goes no further.
    Can you please help.

2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

Something you might be able to do is use scanreg to restore a previous backup of your registry. Windows 98 keeps 5 different registry backups dating back about 1 day each.

Boot into DOS / Command prompt when the safe mode menu appears and type in scanreg /restore

You will then be able to choose a previous registry configuration. Go back before the problem started and you should be able to boot.

3. Kaorichan

Kaorichan TS Rookie Posts: 33

*smacks the person upside the head*
    Sircam 32.exe caused that on my 98 i have extreme experience with it...
    I disabled cab files cause they were messing up with another file... i forgot which one rly im thinking act (its called acrobat)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.