TechSpot

Can RAM cause game freezes ??

By fnugen
Jan 28, 2006
  1. I have a pair of 512 sticks of OCZ ram running in dual channel. The stock setting s are 2.5-4-4-8.........but I have set it to 1.5-3-3-6 and it boots with no errors and seems to run normal. I noticed tonight playing COD2 via LAN that part way into the game, maybe 10mins, I would freeze up. It's running in DX7 mode. Now honestly......I don't recall if I changed my ram settings since last run or not. I had this before, but running an outside fan on my vid card (pootched chip fan) fixed that. I am curious if it can boot the PC and run pretty much evertything okay, but still cause a game freeze, or am I looking at something else as the culprit ?? The rest of my machine is AMD64 3500+, Gigabyte GA-K8nsc-939 and an ATI 9800pro. I guess I am looking to see if this is my problem, or what it can actaully cause. Like I said, the PC will boot with no errors with the settings a the lowest 1.5-3-3-6. Thanks

2. swker98

swker98 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,348

yes ram can cuse freezing in games, you need to run memetest 86 for atlest 5 passes

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.