1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Can SATA Optical Drives "Run as IDE"?

By captaincranky ยท 4 replies
Aug 29, 2009
  1. As most of you know, SATA HDDs can be run in IDE emulation mode. Will the same thing hold true of SATA optical drives?

Here's a possible situation; a computer has been configured with no SATA drivers. The HDDs are set to "run as IDE".

Suppose someone wanted to add a Blu-Ray drive, all of which are SATA.

Would this require a reinstall of the OS with SATA drivers, or would the BIOS compensate and enable the drive to function correctly as an IDE unit?

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

I think you still have to have SATA capability on a motherboard. I have 2 SATA hard drives and 2 SATA Optical drives... In the bios, the SATA controller is set to IDE

3. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Topic Starter Posts: 12,267   +2,178

Fair enough, thanks much.

4. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +10

CaptainCranky, don't you mean,
    "Qui est futurus indignant, Ego vos salutant" ?

5. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Topic Starter Posts: 12,267   +2,178

Perhaps I Should Have Said, "Will a SATA Optical Drive Be Offended Running as IDE?

For you actually, yes, :D :rolleyes: ;) :haha: :wave:

There are some emoticons for you to ignore, and I mean all of them, from the very, very, bottom of my Emachine's cold black heart. :haha:

Salutans, amigo mio!

(Meanwhile I'll try to avoid malware, that way I'll save you the trouble of typing that I need a new motherboard).

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.