TechSpot

Can SATA Optical Drives "Run as IDE"?

By captaincranky
Aug 29, 2009
  1. As most of you know, SATA HDDs can be run in IDE emulation mode. Will the same thing hold true of SATA optical drives?

Here's a possible situation; a computer has been configured with no SATA drivers. The HDDs are set to "run as IDE".

Suppose someone wanted to add a Blu-Ray drive, all of which are SATA.

Would this require a reinstall of the OS with SATA drivers, or would the BIOS compensate and enable the drive to function correctly as an IDE unit?

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

I think you still have to have SATA capability on a motherboard. I have 2 SATA hard drives and 2 SATA Optical drives... In the bios, the SATA controller is set to IDE

3. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Topic Starter Posts: 11,674   +1,874

Fair enough, thanks much.

4. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

CaptainCranky, don't you mean,
    "Qui est futurus indignant, Ego vos salutant" ?

5. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Topic Starter Posts: 11,674   +1,874

Perhaps I Should Have Said, "Will a SATA Optical Drive Be Offended Running as IDE?

For you actually, yes, :D :rolleyes: ;) :haha: :wave:

There are some emoticons for you to ignore, and I mean all of them, from the very, very, bottom of my Emachine's cold black heart. :haha:

Salutans, amigo mio!

(Meanwhile I'll try to avoid malware, that way I'll save you the trouble of typing that I need a new motherboard).

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.