Can send but not receive packets via wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Setting up a wireless network in a house... 4 computers down 1 to go! I'm using a linksys router, but a D-link card. The card was accessing the network fine, added encryption and now the status says the network is connected but not receiving any packets. The computer is set to automatically obtain IP and DNS, can not find default gateway that way, when manually setting IP and DNS, can connect but that's it. When pinging the router it times out. I have updated the firmware on the router, updated the drivers for the card, reinstalled the card to a new slot, sat on the phone with tech support for a total of about 6 hours now...no difference...Still nothing. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks much!
~TechGirlie

Are you using WPA? Many devices don't work well with that. Try WEP instead and see how it goes.

Firewall

Are you running XP on this system? If so check your Windows firewall settings. If you are running a firewall on your system you can block yourself out. You can still run a firewall, you just have to make sure your firewall settings in the security center (under control panel) allow certain exceptions to meet your needs. I believe there is an 'Exceptions' tab and an 'Advanced' tab you can change settings on to mail protocols, echo request, etc. Take a look in there and you may find the source of your problem. Also you may want to check on the settings in your router. There may be something there that would block your access. Those are some of the things I encounter fairly often when dealing with setups like yours. I use a Linksys wireless router and D-link card on my home wireless network also. So I know it will work, just don't give up on it. Goodluck! Chris

I had same problem, I tried everything and the only way I got it to work was changing from WEP to WPA security in router, start to work perfect.

pilotdud said:
You can still run a firewall, you just have to make sure your firewall settings in the security center (under control panel) allow certain exceptions to meet your needs. I believe there is an 'Exceptions' tab and an 'Advanced' tab you can change settings on to mail protocols, echo request, etc. Chris
sorry, just no so. The firewall operates upon a connection type (tcp,udp,ip) and a protocol
(ftp,https,telnet,file shares ...) but not encryption. Encryption takes place on the LINK layer,
far below what the firewall sees.

It is true, however, that mixing vendors for wireless routers vs wireless adaptors can cause this
kind of problem.

The first step would be to disable ALL encryption and make a connection. Step two would be
to enable and try WEP. Lastly, go to the better WPA or WPA-2 encryption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back