TechSpot

Can you join multiplayer games in Halo CE thru the console?

?

Do you think my idea is a good one (paragraph 2)?

1. Yeah man sweet! :D

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No, go away. :P

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
By Envergure
May 22, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey dudes.

I got Halo CE and I want to play with my brother over LAN but it complains about CD keys. So I thought maybe in devmode it wouldn't complain about that, but then MP's blocked in the UI so can I join a LAN game using the console?

My biggest gaming peeve is when u want to play over LAN but everyone needs a different CD key. I can understand perfectly why this is necessary on the internet. But I think they should have a thing where on LAN you can have like two or four ppl playing over LAN at once. At least that's what I'd do if I made a game (which isn't entirely unrealistic as I've started developing a FPS engine in my spare time). That way players don't have to buy a copy for everyone to have a LAN party but the developer doesn't lose money from like 500 ppl all playing from one copy (I guess 500 ppl is a pretty big LAN party but I could see that many in a tournament or smthg).
  2. chance1138

chance1138 Newcomer, in training Posts: 72

I think that would be cool. However, it would be very hard to develop a method for that to work. If you hand out 4 cd keys with every game, then the person actually has 4 copies of the game in reality. The only conceivable way to make that work would be to have the LAN portion of a game not check for a valid CD key at all. But if this was done, someone would just need a copy of the game, and they could LAN all they want without ever paying for a game. So yeah, it would be cool, but difficult to implement.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.