"Cannot connect to hardware access layer" message

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanaleia

My computer recently contracted the Sony DRM rootkit from one of their XCP cd's, several trojans were able to attack and though AVG caught them i temporarily lost both my cd and dvdroms in Dev Manager. Howard and tomrca helped me get rid of the XCP thing, thanks guys! As soon as I got rid of DRM rootkit I got back the use of both drives but now Copy To Dvd gives a message when I try to open the program "cannot connect to hardware access layer" I uninstalled it(and 1Click DVD Copy as well as they both came in a bundle) reinstalled them, tried to force a patin couffin install. But still get that message. Both rom drives play games and videos just fine. I just cant burn any cd's now. Someone told me I could try updating the IDE drivers but I dont know about that (or even how to do it) Does anyone have any ideas? Will that work? I even uninstalled the rom drivers but this did not help either. Help Please!

You dont "update" optical drive drivers. All optical drives use the native Windows drivers. what you may have been told is to try updating the firmware of your drive. If there is updated firmware available for your drive then it should be available at your Drive makers web site in the support or downloads section. While it is a good idea to keep your firmware updated it is unlikely that this is the source of your problem. Your probably going to ned a reinstall or at least a repair install of windows to solve your problems caused by the rootkit and the viruses and their removal. BUT.... one thing you can try before going that route is to run System File Checker, it is likely that system files were damaged or removed so if you have your XP Cd put it in the drive and open a command prompt and type sfc /scannow this will run system file checker and replace any damaged or missing system files. AFTER that completes, then uninstall the IDE channel your drive is on in device manager under IDE ATA|ATAPI Controllers. then reboot windows will reinstall the channel and the drive automaticaly on start up.

cant find file on disk

My XP Prof disk is just a dump disk that dumps the whole thing on at once formatting and destroying all data along the way. I could find no repair option and command prompt says wrong syntax or something like that. My husband however,has Windows XP Home regular install disk, could I use that to replace any files even though I am running Win XP Professional?
Thanks for your help,
shrrryt

Sounds like what you have is "recovery" disk. No, you cant use XP Home to do a repair install of XP Pro. you can either borrow and XP pro disk from a firend and use it or you can create your own XP Pro disk from your recovery disk.

The guide on how to do it is here.

http://www.easydesksoftware.com/recovery.htm

cannot connect to hardware access layer problem

OMG I just read the easydesksoftware tutorial and am not sure whether to laugh, cry, or curl up in a fetal position. I think I will just buy a REAL copy of XP Prof instead of a dumb little cheap "recovery "disk that recovers nothing. Just my luck all my firends with XP have only XP Home. Before I buy it, is there anything else I might try that might work? If not I will go ahead and order it. Thanks for your time and help and prompt replies I really do appreciate it.
hanaleia

offhand I cant think of anything else to try. maybe one of the other guys around here will have an idea. but I really suspect you probably have some missing or damaged system files.

I have ordered XP Prof full install and it should be here this Fri or Sat. I will follow the instructions you gave in an earlier reply. I'll alsocheck back before fixing it to be sure you havent thought of anything else and when I am done I will let you know how it works out. Thanks again for your help I really appreciate the time you guys take to help out
hanaleia

I'll alsocheck back before fixing it to be sure you havent thought of anything else

I try to not spend to much time thinking, it gives me a headache and makes my wife nervous. :haha:

Just to clarify what ISS said about Sytem File Checker; A common mistake people make while running it (and other dos commands is to leave a space between the sfc.exe and / so it looks like this sfc.exe /scannow which can also be run in windows from start/run then type sfc.exe /scannow

Sorry to bud in!!! ISS is the master!!! :)

sfc.exe/scannow run

I finally recieved my full install of XP prof, and was able to run the sfc /scannow and while it fixed some other issues I was having that were caused by the rootkit, yeay, unfortunately not this one, in Device Manager all the patin couffin drivers under VSO devices still have a big yellow excalmation point.
Since my other problems caused by the rootkit are fixed, I am trying to decide now if not being able to use 1click dvd and copy to dvd (even though I paid for them) is worth reformatting my hard drive. I will also keep looking for another answer. I was told I should remove the registry keys dealing with vso then reinstall the program but I have not messed with the registry before and know it is very easy to muck things up if I dont know exactly how to do it. thanks for all your time and help, if you happen to run accross a possible answer please post it, I will keep checking back. You guys are fantastic to take your time to help total strangers. You make the internet a better place.
Hanaleia

I agree with FastCo, you could try a repair install of XP. but frankly I wouldnt install ANYTHING that required patin couffin drivers, they have always been problematic and caused problems with optical drives.

thanks

Thanks for reminding me, I forgot about the repair option.
To iss: I wish I would have known that before I spent 59.99 for the program,guess I should have done more research
:eek:
v/r
hanaleia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back